Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > The Bringers of Wonder

Notices

Old 19th October 2017, 09:49 PM
Protector

Default protectors on itv 4

the protectors was shown this morning on itv 4 .
checked for tomorrow . so it must be Thursdays.
does anyone know. it was episode 2. with mr throughton and the guy from ufo . I cant spell his name.
Old 19th October 2017, 10:00 PM
Main Mission Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr fox View Post
the protectors was shown this morning on itv 4 .
checked for tomorrow . so it must be Thursdays.
does anyone know. it was episode 2. with mr throughton and the guy from ufo . I cant spell his name.
That is unusual. This type of show would normally be a daily repeat on ITV4 with gaps when sport was on but the next episode is at 6am on sunday morning then nothing. Just like it was all those years ago it's being used as filler again.
Old 20th October 2017, 02:26 PM
Spacehawk

As a kid, I remember The Protectors on its first screening being shown by ATV Midlands on (I think) Fridays evenings around 7.00-8.00pm, back-to-back with The Adventurer.

I'm not a great fan of the latter programme, but a double bill like that, shown at a more reasonable time of day or evening, might work much better on ITV4?

But of course, current day ITV schedulers don't think like that (although ITV4's output is so repetitive that I doubt its scheduled by a human being at all...)
Old 22nd October 2017, 09:33 PM
Main Mission Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morris View Post
As a kid, I remember The Protectors on its first screening being shown by ATV Midlands on (I think) Fridays evenings around 7.00-8.00pm, back-to-back with The Adventurer.

I'm not a great fan of the latter programme, but a double bill like that, shown at a more reasonable time of day or evening, might work much better on ITV4?

But of course, current day ITV schedulers don't think like that (although ITV4's output is so repetitive that I doubt its scheduled by a human being at all...)
I'm not sure the 2 back to back would work. The Protectors is also 16mm so presumably no HD version on the horizon and in addition to being absolutely terrible the picture quality of the existing masters for The Adventurer match the show itself.
In fact ITV4 did air the show shortly before Network released it on dvd as I recorded about half the series to my hard drive but fortunately Network released the dvd before I wasted time burning my own. ITV4 cut it too
Old 23rd October 2017, 09:50 AM
World President

I set the recorder for 6 o'clock Sunday morning - like I'm really gonna get up that early to watch this! - and it was the 'Brother Hood' episode with Patrick Troughton and Vladek Sheybal. So presumably just a repeat of the one that was on on Thursday.

Poor quality print, which made the series seem even worse than it was. I might invest in the DVD next year rather than wait for these poor and sporadic repeats.
Old 23rd October 2017, 04:00 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinspector View Post
I'm not sure the 2 back to back would work. The Protectors is also 16mm so presumably no HD version on the horizon and in addition to being absolutely terrible the picture quality of the existing masters for The Adventurer match the show itself.
I don't know that it would make much difference whether there is a difference in picture quality between the two shows - ITV don't seem to give much of a toss about quality as long as they can fill the airtime between the commercials. I also don't think it would matter that one show is pretty good while the other is bloody awful

I'd prefer my DVDs anyway. As for The Protectors in HD, I see no reason why this may not be possible at some point in the future.
Old 23rd October 2017, 08:39 PM
Main Mission Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morris View Post
I don't know that it would make much difference whether there is a difference in picture quality between the two shows - ITV don't seem to give much of a toss about quality as long as they can fill the airtime between the commercials. I also don't think it would matter that one show is pretty good while the other is bloody awful

I'd prefer my DVDs anyway. As for The Protectors in HD, I see no reason why this may not be possible at some point in the future.
My reference to The Protectors in HD was merely to point out that being made on 16mm likely means there will be a long wait while they make their way through the 35mm shows first.

Not seen the ITV4 versions so don't know how they compare to the dvd's which were actually a startling revelation along the lines of The Professionals (but not quite) when they first appeared on dvd. The Protectors had always looked pretty grotty so the dvd's were the first time I'd seen them in anything close to good. But they were done about 15 years ago IIRC.
Maybe if the Network ITC restorations continue to go well they might reach The Protectors although Network seem to be going out of their way to choose the less popular shows.
The Saint or Danger Man would have been preferable to Man In A Suitcase which unfortunately is something I will go for when the boxset is 50% off.
The Champions seemed the next logical release so I don't know why they are holding that more popular series back. I just hope the Network /ITV/ITC restoration is an ongoing thing for ITV to belatedly start updating some of their product and that its continuation is not reliant on the sales of any of the current titles.
Those who like MIAS seem to really like it but I don't think it's untrue to say for general popularity with the masses it's a long way down the list
Old 24th October 2017, 12:56 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinspector View Post
My reference to The Protectors in HD was merely to point out that being made on 16mm likely means there will be a long wait while they make their way through the 35mm shows first.

Oh yeah, I see what you mean

I'm not really sure what strategy or rationale Network are using in deciding what gets released on BD (and in what order). I was going to pass on the ITC series blu ray releases but I have so far got Department S and Randall and Hopkirk as well as preordered Man In A Suitcase (as well as Captain Scarlet, of course!).

In general the BDs I already have do look fantastic although truth be told I won't be viewing them all that often. I'm quite surprised that The Champions (a favourite of mine) hasn't been a priority, whereas I have to be honest and say that if they get round to Danger Man or The Saint I really do have no interest at all in those.

Hopefully they will get round to The Protectors, Return of the Saint and even the The Zoo Gang (which I think would make a lovely little BD release), but I'm quite sceptical. Still, as I get older these things start to lose their importance for me anyway, sad to say.