Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Harlington Straker Studios

Notices

Old 27th April 2016, 08:05 PM
Jason Smith

Default 'thunderbirds' movie footage

the Christmas episode 'give or take a million' showed a excerpt of thunderbird 3 taken off which came from the movie 'thunderbirds are go' it was shown on Christmas day 1966 2 days after the movie was released,so fans on Christmas week 1966 saw a preview of their first big screen adventure on the final episode! what other footage from TBAG & TB6(thunderbird six) was shown on other Anderson series?
Old 29th April 2016, 11:13 AM
Zeroid

Default TB Footage

Are you absolutely sure about that?

The TV series was shot 35mm in a 4:3 ratio more commonly known as 1:33:1.
Thunderbirds Are Go was shot Techniscope, or 2:35:1. Techniscope uses half a 35mm frame (two spockets not four) hence the techniscope format would not fill the then standard TV 1:33:1 ratio.

I looked at the TB3 launch in 'Give or Take a Million', then looked at the TB3 launch in TBAG movie... they are totally different.

Just asking if you are absolutely sure is all.
Old 29th April 2016, 05:15 PM
SID

Not in a position to comment without getting home and fishing out the discs.

Alan Track puppet - I'm afraid I can't recall which version is in the footage I'd imagine a season 2 variant lending credence footage was cropped.

Thunderbird 6 footage of course appears in Joe 90 - thats a given
Old 29th April 2016, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21 View Post
Are you absolutely sure about that?

The TV series was shot 35mm in a 4:3 ratio more commonly known as 1:33:1.
Thunderbirds Are Go was shot Techniscope, or 2:35:1. Techniscope uses half a 35mm frame (two spockets not four) hence the techniscope format would not fill the then standard TV 1:33:1 ratio.

I looked at the TB3 launch in 'Give or Take a Million', then looked at the TB3 launch in TBAG movie... they are totally different.

Just asking if you are absolutely sure is all.
Just because a film was made in widescreen doesn't make it impossible to include footage in a 4:3 product.
The Time Tunnel is full of it. They just use a portion of the picture in the same way that tv used to show widescreen films cropped to 4:3 in the bad old days