Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Runway 29

Notices

Old 7th October 2018, 10:24 AM
Seal Cub

Default Perils of Penelope. The missing half hour episode?

We're all aware of Lew Grade's mandate that all Thunderbirds episodes would be an hour long. Because of this, the first 11 half-hour episodes were extended to a full hour via the use of newly shot footage and entirely new scenes. But what if there was a 12th we were previously unaware of? That's right, this is my case for Perils of Penelope as a half hour extended episode as well. will be going over my evidence in the following posts, but other people are free to add their own thoughts in the meantime. Watch this space
Man of sounds, sound of thunder, thunder of birds, birds of hawks, hawks of terror, terror of terror fish, fish of aquaphibians, aquaphibians of space, space of patrol, patrol of wings, wings of angels, angels of the lord, lord of the bishop, bishop of the Secret service, Secret service of Shane Weston. Everything of Gerry Anderson!
Old 7th October 2018, 02:14 PM
Seal Cub

First up is this scene of Lady Penelope and Sir Jeremy talking in Fab 1. The first two screenshots show these characters' positions in the car while Sir Jeremy is explaining his and Professor Borrender's conversion of sea water into fuel. The next two screenshots show these two characters in slightly different positions and with different lighting as well. This is where Sir Jeremy mentions the Sun Probe rocket being powered by the fuel. Then in the next 2 screenshots we switch right back to the same positions and lighting as in the first screenshot.

I don't know about you, but having this massive a jump in lightning and positioning wouldn't sit right with this scene all being filmed in one go. This combined with the different audio quality of Sir Jeremy's Sun Probe lines leads me to believe these altered lighting shots were added at a much later date, but not as later as the scenes in all the other half hour episode extensions which is why Perils still comes very early in the broadcast order.

This leads me to believe Perils was in the process of being filmed as the order for the full hour episodes came through. It would also make sense that Perils of Penelope was being shot alongside Sun Probe given the shared footage and dialogue between those two in the beginning.
Attached Thumbnails
Title_7 - 00_11_12.65.jpg   Title_7 - 00_11_38.06.jpg  
Attached Images

Man of sounds, sound of thunder, thunder of birds, birds of hawks, hawks of terror, terror of terror fish, fish of aquaphibians, aquaphibians of space, space of patrol, patrol of wings, wings of angels, angels of the lord, lord of the bishop, bishop of the Secret service, Secret service of Shane Weston. Everything of Gerry Anderson!
Old 7th October 2018, 02:21 PM
Seal Cub

Welp...Images are buggered. I'll just have to try linking the screenshots in question.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...0_10_57.29.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...0_11_02.98.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...0_11_12.65.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...0_11_20.34.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...0_11_38.06.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...0_11_40.08.jpg
Old 7th October 2018, 06:37 PM
Spacehawk

I completely agree with you - Perils of Penelope was certainly written as a half hour episode, and was in pre-production early in 1965 just after the decision to extend the episodes to 50 minutes was made. As they were still trying to catch up, there were a few episodes like this one which were shot or partially shot using the original shorter scripts during the early part of the year.
Old 7th October 2018, 11:27 PM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

It's a while since I looked at anything about the half hours but I always assumed Perils of Penelope was definitely one of them but that there were only 9
Old 8th October 2018, 12:39 AM
Seal Cub

I think you're going off the broadcast order rather than the production order Shermeen. In the Thunderbirds Vault book it was confirmed that 11 episodes were originally shot at half hour and extended later. This is why Martian Invasion comes so late in the broadcast order.