Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > The Bringers of Wonder

Notices

Old 9th March 2019, 09:15 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Harding View Post
I can't understand them cutting that sequence. It just showed that Gabrielle Drake had a lovely shapely figure and there's nothing wrong with that so I can't see why that was cut. I don't think I'll be watching any of the shows on Forces TV - I'll stick to my DVDs of UFO and Space:1999 instead.
The only reason to edit it would be that it's inclusion is seen to be mainly for titillation.
So any channel applying modern standards to 50 year old tv shows is best avoided. And if they feel the need to do that why bother showing them in the first place?

Unfortunately Talking Pictures are now doing the same even though they have no reason to and all that was asked of them was to put notices up front that the next programme contains content that might not adhere to modern standards. Most tv channels now take the easy route and treat all viewers as being too stupid to watch shows in the context of when they were made.
They won't accept that there are not really that many who fall into that category. It was unfortunate that at least 3 of them watch Talking Pictures and felt the need to complain. What makes it worse is that Ofcom will penalise TPTV based on a complaint from one person and ignore the fact that several hundred thousand were quite happy.

Last edited by shermeen; 9th March 2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 9th March 2019, 10:45 PM
Slomo

I doubt the Ellis scene was cut for violating any rules or 'pandering to PC' or anything like that. It's just an unfortunate fact that archive tv is often edited to make room for adverts, and surprisingly Identified is actually the longest episode of UFO. The Ellis scene is two minutes long and nothing happens in it that affects the story, so it's a prime target for channel editors looking to bring the length of the episode down.
Old 10th March 2019, 09:02 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinggodzillak View Post
I doubt the Ellis scene was cut for violating any rules or 'pandering to PC' or anything like that. It's just an unfortunate fact that archive tv is often edited to make room for adverts, and surprisingly Identified is actually the longest episode of UFO. The Ellis scene is two minutes long and nothing happens in it that affects the story, so it's a prime target for channel editors looking to bring the length of the episode down.
That is possible but thankfully there aren't really any rules that pander to PC. I was lead to believe that Forces did not edit for timing.
While TPTV and other channels often take the cowardly route to avoid whining viewers Ofcom don't have any rules (and neither do the BBFC) that would ban un PC language. Both organisations are happy for any such content to be sign posted and allow viewers to make a choice.
For instance, there are no rules that would ban Love Thy Neighbour or Mind Your Language from being repeated but Ofcom would expect both to carry warnings at the start and for them to be aired later in the day than they were when they were made.
Of course it's unlikely any channels would be brave enough to weather the stir showing them would create.

Even 20+ years ago the BBC edited Space 1999 , UFO and Joe 90 for various reasons including violence and language. And as a sign of the sad way things would go even the BBC2 repeats of Scarlet lead to raised eyebrows regarding the violence and the bloodshed.
People seemed to forget it was a series starring puppets
Old 16th March 2019, 11:09 PM
Aquaphibian

Latest Anderson Podcast talks to Forces tv who explains about the Breakaway cockup which resulted from compliance edits gone wrong.
Also confirms they have both Years of Space 1999 and plan to show them all nightly around 10pm with weekend catchups.
UFO likely to be reshown afterwards.
Claims an intention not to edit anything but with the caveat that some edits might occur depending on timeslot.
Disappointed that Jamie Anderson mentions the shots of Ron Pember looking down a girls top in UFO Timelash as being "of the day".
Forces tv say Supermarionation shows unlikely to appear at the moment although they have discussed Captain Scarlet but decided not to
Old 17th March 2019, 07:09 PM
Spacehawk

Everyone's offended these days! Things should be left alone and not cut up like an old tea towel. They are valuable and accurate historical documents and show it as it was. UFO, Space: 1999, The Sweeney, The Professionals, Love Thy Neighbour, It Ain't half Hot Mum... if you don't like them, don't watch them! The truth is, no-one is really offended; some people just like to claim that they are. Thank god I'm old enough to have seen these programmes the first time round and lived in better and more honest times. Falling out of trees, playing conkers, riding Chopper bikes, getting slippered by our teachers and watching The Goodies and Mind Your Language... never did us any harm.
Old 17th March 2019, 07:23 PM
Dreisenberg Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
Everyone's offended these days! Things should be left alone and not cut up like an old tea towel. They are valuable and accurate historical documents and show it as it was. UFO, Space: 1999, The Sweeney, The Professionals, Love Thy Neighbour, It Ain't half Hot Mum... if you don't like them, don't watch them! The truth is, no-one is really offended; some people just like to claim that they are. Thank god I'm old enough to have seen these programmes the first time round and lived in better and more honest times. Falling out of trees, playing conkers, riding Chopper bikes, getting slippered by our teachers and watching The Goodies and Mind Your Language... never did us any harm.
Do you know Commander Desica that could've been me talking. I agree 100% with you have said here. There's too much of this PC brigade about these days isn't there.
Old 18th March 2019, 09:18 PM
Aquaphibian

Unfortunately Ofcom take far too much notice of the media. But then again Ofcom are stupid enough to embark on investigations and even rule against a channel based on a complaint from just one person.
But this has been going on for ages. "Only Fools and Horses" has been a victim of the PC brigade for a long time and wasn't helped over the weekend when one of its female stars spoke out about some of its "inappropriate" content although she did add that she thought they should be aired intact.
It's been a long time since Del Boy visited the local P*ki shop despite the fact that the term was a simple abbreviation used during a time when lots of shops run by non English people started popping up and pleasing everyone by not closing at 6pm everyday.
Apparently the term was "adopted" by the National Front as a racist term so we can't use it anymore. Annoying but understandable to a point.
Fools and Horses suffers even more with edits to remove every slang term for foreigners whether that be a trip to the local "Chinky" (surely a well known abbreviation for Chinese Restaurant?) Spags, Itais etc.
In the same way we referred to the Welsh as Taffy or the Scots as Jock none of these were used with any malice but unfortunately everyone is treated as being too stupid to look beyond the words.
Despite Love Thy Neighbour ridiculing the racist in every episode even with his wife disagreeing with him that won't ever appear again bar perhaps the odd single episode as a demo of how things have changed.
Mind Your Language was an often funny look at how silly the English language can be but I always felt that despite the racial stereotypes (nothing wrong with stereotypes anyway) we were being invited, along with all the members of the class to laugh with the foreign students rather than laugh AT them.
Admittedly there are some moments in there now featuring arguments between the Muslim and the Sikh which the passage of time has turned sour so those don't really come across as funny anymore.
But all these shows are time capsules and we should be able to enjoy them for what was intended in the same way we likely all raise an eyebrow to the smoking of Thunderbirds, the random violence and bloodshed of Scarlet and the child in danger concept of Joe 90.

It's disappointing that Ofcom pander to the whingers.
A notice about outdated views could easily precede anything.
Won't be long before broadcasters are banned from showing The Dam Busters unedited.
Old 19th March 2019, 08:46 AM
Zarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermeen View Post
It's been a long time since Del Boy visited the local P*ki shop despite the fact that the term was a simple abbreviation . . .

. . . Won't be long before broadcasters are banned from showing The Dam Busters unedited.
'P*ki' is simply a shortened version of Pakistani in the same way that 'Brit' is short for someone from Britain. Is that now considered inappropriate? I recall a Pakistani youth on TV with a zip-up jacket having 'PA' on one side of the zip and 'KI' on the other declaring that was what he was and that he was proud of his nationality. The same is often true for Brits - why is it now considered offensive? People often mistake regional and national fervour for racism.

And, of course, the name of Guy Gibson's dog and the call code word to signify that the dams were breached has already been edited/dubbed in showings of the original 'Dam Busters' film and the name has been changed for the current remake. History is slowly being airbrushed and sanitised.

Sad but true. Next it will be that England didn't win the world cup in 1966 and that the game was an honourable draw to save offending any nationality.

Z
Old 19th March 2019, 09:17 PM
Aquaphibian

I heard the renaming of the dog was being considered but hadn't heard whether it was confirmed. The first story on the remake states from Peter Jackson that he intends "to tell the real story". I expect they could just not use any name for the dog and get away with it but as he only has the rights for another year the remake is far from certain.

While I can imagine the original might get edited in some markets I did check it out last time it was on ITV a while back and it was on in the afternoon and the dogs name was included and was not edited on the subtitles either. It would be hard to put forward a legit argument to remove it when its based on fact but I can see a time in the future when the whingers might get it put on later in the evening.

Been watching Networks release of The Thames Kenny Everett Video Show and while I was 15 when it first aired at 6.45pm watching it today it's amazing they showed it that early and managed to continue to show it around 7pm for all its series.
I think the BBC moved it to slightly later but it was before 9 and while Hot Gossip didn't appear on the BBC the smutty innuendo of the sketches mean it wouldn't get a look in today.
Of course it gets a free pass because Kenny was gay. The equally smutty Benny Hill is written off as the ravings of a dirty old man
Old 19th March 2019, 10:17 PM
Moid

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermeen View Post
I heard the renaming of the dog was being considered but hadn't heard whether it was confirmed. The first story on the remake states from Peter Jackson that he intends "to tell the real story". I expect they could just not use any name for the dog and get away with it but as he only has the rights for another year the remake is far from certain.
Hopefully he'll get on with it, because if it turns into a Hollywood remake it will be how "Buster T Gibson III" - a washed-up pilot trying to redeem himself - puts together a rag-tag bunch of mis-fits, and undertakes a "no hope of return" mission using an experimental weapon, and manages to defeat the whole of Nazi Germany in one go...........

The "dog" of course will be played by Andy Serkis in another astounding "motion capture" performance.

Last edited by FAB_61; 19th March 2019 at 10:19 PM.