Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 14th March 2019, 01:25 PM
SID

Mine arrived today as well!
Old 14th March 2019, 04:55 PM
Mario Coletti

Send a message via Yahoo to neilhoughton Send a message via Skype™ to neilhoughton

Mine came too
Old 14th March 2019, 07:46 PM
Jason Smith

Mine too really lovely quality box. The weird size doesn't annoy me so much now there's two of them. Hopefully The Secret Service, Stingray and maybe one day Thunderbirds get the same treatment.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:56 PM
Aquaphibian

Mine too. Looking forward to browsing the bonus disc later tonight
Old 15th March 2019, 08:57 PM
Aquaphibian

The documentary looks interesting and if even if its as badly put together as the UFO one (which it hopefully won't be as the Scarlet one was pretty good) the content should still be good and it's likely to be the only 54 minute documentary about Joe 90 there will ever be so it's one to enjoy and keep.

The BIG RAT and Win shorts are as insubstantial as expected.

Nice to see that Network remain as completist as ever. Nobody else would have bothered with 1 minute of audio checks for a 13 second voice over about Joes glasses. These touches are what separates Network from the rest.

Lone Handed 90 looks good in widescreen but I would have thought if you were going to crop something that should be 4:3 into a modern widescreen format you would have gone the whole hog and filled the 16:9 ratio (as ITV did with Thunderbirds) rather than still leave side borders albeit slimmer than usual.

The Super Space Theater Joe 90 compilation is a nice inclusion but purely of curiosity value. No UFO style HD restoration of that.

The book seems better quality than usual and a brief skim shows its up to the usual high Andrew Pixley standard.
Looking back at what Pixley used to deliver in SIG and Time Screen in the 80's it's clear that he and Network were made for each other almost as if a dream he had came true when Network came along.
And they make a match made in heaven for fans of archive tv. Long may they continue.

20 extra for this LE seems a tad over priced compared to other similar releases but it seems better value than the Man In A Suitcase one which is 32 and regardless of price I can't recommend these special sets highly enough
Old 16th March 2019, 10:15 AM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermeen View Post
Nice to see that Network remain as completist as ever. Nobody else would have bothered with 1 minute of audio checks for a 13 second voice over about Joes glasses. These touches are what separates Network from the rest.

To be fair, these are already on the ITV DVD version.
Old 16th March 2019, 09:10 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
To be fair, these are already on the ITV DVD version.
I must have forgotten that. I knew the 13 second voiceover was there but didn't realise the checks were too. So long since I looked at the dvd in depth.
But I think Joe came out during a short period at Carlton when they had fans involved in their dvd releases of all things ITC.
Couldn't imagine them going to that trouble today
Old 18th March 2019, 08:17 PM
Cloudbase Doctor

Decent set, really do like these big boxes. The book is particularly interesting although I've only read the first section so far. Fascinated to read that Century 21 was given the go-ahead by Grade to make a live-action series called 'Shockwave' immediately after Thunderbirds - and that there was interest from none other than Patrick McGoohan in starring in it - only for ITC to change their minds. I'd never heard of this before - did Gerry Anderson ever make mention of it? I'd have thought it would have been a real thorn in his side. Studio time was even booked for it. I know he had a film script called Operation Shockwave in the 70s but this sounds different.

The only let-down is the documentary, which is riddled with technical gaffes (sound glitches, people casting shadows on interviewee faces). Shouldn't have been passed through quality control in that state.

Last edited by Mikec32001; Yesterday at 09:18 PM.