Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 30th July 2014, 08:38 PM
Banned

I've sent Nick a PM so hopefully my issue will arrive soon.

Space 1999 Year Two : overall I actually prefer it to Year One even though the very worst episodes of the entire 48 are in Year Two.
There is an otherworldly quality to Year One but it is all a bit cold .

I like most of the changes Freiberger made .
I doubt Lew Grade had much say in it at all . He would have been number crunching and knowing that no US involvement meant no Y2 I guess that's why he let them in .
Year One was hardly a roaring success in the UK so Year Two must have been financed on the say so of the US market which is why Freiberger was a condition .
Without US buyers there never would have been a Y2 because ITV certainly weren't interested .
Year One didn't do particularly well and Y2 was pretty much thrown away as filler by the whole network . Even ATV moved it to a weekday afternoon during the premier Y2 broadcast.

LWT premiered half of Y1 and all of Y2 on saturday mornings - fine place for the most expensive British tv series made up to that time.
As we know , Southern never even bothered with Y2

Last edited by phelings; 30th July 2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 31st July 2014, 12:11 AM
Main Mission Operative

Default FAB 78 arrived

FAB 78 arrived in Minnesota, USA today.

Joan
Old 31st July 2014, 09:48 AM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post

Space 1999 Year Two : overall I actually prefer it to Year One even though the very worst episodes of the entire 48 are in Year Two.
There is an otherworldly quality to Year One but it is all a bit cold .

I like most of the changes Freiberger made .
I doubt Lew Grade had much say in it at all . He would have been number crunching and knowing that no US involvement meant no Y2 I guess that's why he let them in .
Year One was hardly a roaring success in the UK so Year Two must have been financed on the say so of the US market which is why Freiberger was a condition .
Without US buyers there never would have been a Y2 because ITV certainly weren't interested .
Year One didn't do particularly well and Y2 was pretty much thrown away as filler by the whole network . Even ATV moved it to a weekday afternoon during the premier Y2 broadcast.

Tend to agree with most of this. Certainly Lew Grade trusted his New York staff (the Mandell dynasty) and probably didn't have time to devote to anything Anderson-related; and of course he was getting too embroiled in his dream of producing feature films, and I suppose that obsession contributed to the downfall of the whole ACC empire eventually.

I preferred the second series for many years too, although as I have got older, my preference has edged back again in favour of the first series, by a small margin. Some of Freigerger's ideas were a little questionable, and his idea of 'humour' was toe-curlingly awful. But I agreed with his attempts to humanise people a bit more, even if the comic strip action stuff could occasionally get a bit 'samey'. (In 1976, I loved The Beta Cloud, whereas these days I find it's possibly the worst one of the entire 48 episodes...).

To be honest, whatever Freiberger did or didn't do (and whoever else might have been given the job) I suspect the cards were stacked against the show from the start.
Old 31st July 2014, 11:58 AM
Banned

I too rate The Beta Cloud as the worst alongside the other creature feature episode written by Freiberger Space Warp
Old 31st July 2014, 07:32 PM
Moid

Quote:
LWT premiered half of Y1 and all of Y2 on saturday mornings - fine place for the most expensive British tv series made up to that time.
As we know , Southern never even bothered with Y2
STV showed Y2 on Saturday mornings without any advance warning, such that I was lucky to even notice it was on to watch episode 2. Had to wait until the DVDs (many years later) came out to see The Metamorph in full.

Keith
Old 31st July 2014, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
STV showed Y2 on Saturday mornings without any advance warning, such that I was lucky to even notice it was on to watch episode 2. Had to wait until the DVDs (many years later) came out to see The Metamorph in full.

Keith
Most regions threw Y2 away although to be fair ATV and Anglia did both give it a go on saturday teatime for a few episodes but Y1 never caught on in that slot so not sure why they thought Y2 would.

Did STV not repeat them in the 80's ? Or is that when you saw them?
Of course , in between the ITV broadcasts and the dvd's you could have seen the show on VHS , then on Bravo then on BBC2.

The entire series was resold to ITV and repeated in the early to mid 80's .
Southern still didn't bother and neither did Anglia or ATV / Central.

Despite clearly not rating it very highly LWT ran it yet again. Initial 9.25am saturday mornings were uncut with no ads but partway through the run they switched to 11.30 which instantly meant they had to edit 4 minutes from each episode.

We're going a bit off track here though.
My FAB 78 has still not arrived so some word from somebody at Fanderson would be nice
Old 1st August 2014, 07:12 AM
Spacehawk

Location: Ham Surrey. Half way between Kingston and Richmond, Surrey.

It was shown on ITV4 not too long ago. I caught it a couple of times during the acternoon on days off work, but as ITV4's scheduling of classic series is dreadfull, and I was never keen on Y2, I never watched it.
Old 1st August 2014, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61 View Post
It was shown on ITV4 not too long ago. I caught it a couple of times during the acternoon on days off work, but as ITV4's scheduling of classic series is dreadfull, and I was never keen on Y2, I never watched it.
Unfortunately all the ITV4 screenings were cut .
I think we're going back at least 5 years though since they aired it .
It was back in the days when they showed every 1 hour colour ITC series bar Thunderbirds and The Baron.

Once they did that they settled on Randall & Hopkirk , The Saint and The Champions as the most popular ones and ran those umpteen times .
Even when 1999 was aired as the last show at night around 3am they still couldn't be bothered to show it unedited
Old 1st August 2014, 08:00 PM
Spacehawk

Location: Ham Surrey. Half way between Kingston and Richmond, Surrey.

ITV4's scheduling infuriated me. Not only did they show each episode about fifty thousand times and always introduce it as if it was being shown for the first time, but they never showed any series of any show in any particular episode order. Episodes were up and down left and right and all over the place. It was like the placed every series into some sort of random episode generator and just let it get on with it. It was the same no matter what classic series it happened to be. It drove me loopy.
Old 1st August 2014, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61 View Post
ITV4's scheduling infuriated me. Not only did they show each episode about fifty thousand times and always introduce it as if it was being shown for the first time, but they never showed any series of any show in any particular episode order. Episodes were up and down left and right and all over the place. It was like the placed every series into some sort of random episode generator and just let it get on with it. It was the same no matter what classic series it happened to be. It drove me loopy.
I think with just a couple of exceptions I already had all the ITC shows on dvd by the time ITV4 started airing them although some were Australian sets , some of which came out long before the UK releases.
My viewing of ITV4 was curiosity to see how they messed with them.

I started recording The Adventurer to dvd from ITV4 and after a few episodes Network announced the UK release.