Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 11th November 2014, 03:48 PM
Zarin

Post Fab 79

Just received FAB 79 today. Also received Thunderbirds and Joe 90 specification sheets, which was a nice surprise!

Last edited by jmessy007; 11th November 2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11th November 2014, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmessy007 View Post
Just received FAB 79 today. Also received Thunderbirds and Joe 90 specification sheets, which was a nice surprise!
I got those too . I'm assuming Fanderson have decided to have new renewal gifts from the start of the year instead of being staggered across 2 years.
The new renewal gift of the Thunderbirds CloseUp book sounds very nice and might just be the temptation I need to renew as I was considering stopping as I think 29 for 3 issues is a bit too much - darned postage prices.

Looks like a good read.
Amused to see that the Timelash feature on Space 1999 episode The Mark of Archanon introduces it as one of years 2's finest episodes - whereas the Destination Moonbase Alpha book rates it as the worst of the 48 episodes.
It's certainly better than Space Warp , Beta Cloud , Ring Around the Moon and others - but I'm not sure I'd rate it as one of the "finest" of year 2.
Still - it all makes for interesting debate.

Are we really going to have Fanderson membership funds wasted on an Annual General Meeting?
There really is no need.
Instead of asking us to vote for a chairman they should have an online vote to see if we want funds wasted on booking rooms/halls etc on something so worthless.
It's not as if Fanderson are some huge conglomerate needing to pander to shareholders.

We vote with our wallets. If we don't like what Fanderson gives us for our money we don't renew.
Complaints can be read on this forum which is also a good place to put the facts and figures if we really need to see them.

I'm happy with the way Fanderson is run and I realise the price increases are largely due to postage costs so I don't expect anyone running the club to feel the need to explain themselves at an AGM.
In fact - if it is Fanderson membership fees that will pay for an AGM then that's not right and I would expect some members to protest by not renewing.
If there really must be one then I hope a meeting place can be found that someone is able to lend out for a short time for free.

Last edited by phelings; 11th November 2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11th November 2014, 11:00 PM
Aquaphibian

Agree with most of what is being said there , sadly due to Alex Brady and his conspirators nearly destroying the fan club without giving a rat's arse about both committee or its members has " forced " the club to be more transparent . Again though , I agree , don't like , don't join .
Old 12th November 2014, 08:20 AM
Alien

Location: Australia - never been anywhere else...and barely seen much of Oz come to think of it.

I'm not a fan of The Mark of Archanon either, but in any case, when it comes to Space 1999 Season 2 perhaps the vote for best episode (clearly in the eye of the beholder), is not so much for best episode as best of a bad lot.

Last edited by Keryn; 12th November 2014 at 01:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12th November 2014, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroboy View Post
Agree with most of what is being said there , sadly due to Alex Brady and his conspirators nearly destroying the fan club without giving a rat's arse about both committee or its members has " forced " the club to be more transparent . Again though , I agree , don't like , don't join .
Who is Alex Brady ?
Assuming he is just another member surely the committee could tell him to sod off and join another fanclub .
I don't think the fanclub are in any way legally obligated to be "transparent" so why not just cancel the AGM and take a poll to see if members want funds squandered that way.
It would be enough to post the relevant figures somewhere on the site that could be locked away from non members.
In the face of rising costs which have lead to one less issue per year of FAB wasting money on such tosh as an AGM really isn't on
Old 12th November 2014, 12:59 PM
Moid

I've got a sneaking suspicion this is to do with what was alluded to but never explained, which happened on Facebook. Not being on Facebook myself I have no idea of what went down, but it seems to have caused Fanderson to review its practices.

Keith
Old 12th November 2014, 11:05 PM
Aquaphibian

It's a long story but a guy under a false name , along with his entourage , mounted the most appalling smear campaign against the club . Things have been / are being made more transparent to show no improprieties both current or previous . Like I said , long story . Apologies to the club if I'm not putting across correctly .
Old 12th November 2014, 11:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroboy View Post
It's a long story but a guy under a false name , along with his entourage , mounted the most appalling smear campaign against the club . Things have been / are being made more transparent to show no improprieties both current or previous . Like I said , long story . Apologies to the club if I'm not putting across correctly .
Seems a shame to waste funds under pressure from a smear campaign.
If punters don't like how funds are spent they can vote each year by not renewing.
I'd rather see the figures on the website -saves money.
I'm sure it would be easy to arrange online voting for whatever is being voted for at an AGM.
Any campaigning can be done via Youtube videos.
Old 15th November 2014, 07:30 PM
Skybase Engineer

Perhaps we need a thread on the members section of the forum to discuss the AGM . . . .

. . . . anyway back to the subject of this thread - FAB79. I received mine recently as a very welcome and pleasant surprise. IMO it's a very good issue. And as the last in my membership period I immediately re-joined on the website paying the subs by PayPal - very quick and convenient.

Thanks to all who organise everything and make the club work.
Old 15th November 2014, 09:04 PM
General Strond

It's another very good issue with an excellent cover by Steve with an interesting accompanying article.

Agreed, renewing and ordering mechandise on-line with Paypal is very easy. I just wish it was possible to check my membership status online.