Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 24th December 2015, 03:56 PM
Mario Coletti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Williams View Post

...it's a bit naughty to distort what's been said...

In his letter Chas argues that TAG shouldn't be in the magazine as it's not a Gerry Anderson production.

...but simply pointing out that if being a Gerry Anderson production is the criterion by which coverage is allowed in FAB, it would rather restrict us from the many things that many members do and can enjoy...

...Your views are as valid as everyone else's, Phelings, but please don't misquote others to fit.

Nick
My lead letter in FAB Mail does not say that TAG should not be covered in the magazine, but rather suggests that it be afforded a lot less space than it has been given so far on account of its distance from the club's core objectives.

TAG is a reboot of a Gerry Anderson Production that uses its intellectual property. The Thunderbirds 1965 project incorporates actual elements of Gerry Anderson Productions, ie the use of the original audio stories and voice recordings and the use of stock launch footage from the original series. It attempts to use models and puppets which replicate the exact likenesses of the originals. By such yardsticks it is far closer to being a Gerry Anderson production and, despite the fact that it lacks Gerry Anderson's direct and contemporaneous participation, it could be argued that it is worthy of rather more coverage in the magazine than TAG.

The FAB editorial mentions that "...some of the production crew of Thunderbirds 1965 have a long-held dislike of Fanderson and our numerous approaches to meet in order to understand why have been refused every time."

I suspect that those who run the club have more than an inkling as to why the Thunderbirds 1965 team does not want to know them. The Kickstarter project was launched by Stephen La Riviere whose historically tense relationship with those who run Fanderson resulted in him being banned from this forum. It can be of little surprise that he might not wish to cooperate with the club, which is a real pity given the nature and scale of his project.

However, there would appear to be no reason for the club not to include a review of the Thunderbirds 1965 episodes in FAB at the earliest opportunity. I suspect that several members, myself included, have backed the project and will have disc copies of the episodes in due course that could be made available for review. It may be that some have even been on studio visits to the recent production and could contribute a piece to the magazine?

As to TAG, its well into its second run of episodes and has been out of the BARB viewing figures top 10 for CiTV more often than it has been included and the toys are already being very heavily discounted on Amazon, (some being reduced to half price before Christmas.) It does not seem unreasonable to conclude that it has failed to live up to ITV's high expectations in attracting and holding a new young audience and since, by design, it was not targeted at a broader family audience it appears to have rather fallen between two stools.

Personally, I would much rather read articles in FAB about the production of recent and forthcoming books that club members have written or designed than detailed coverage of TAG.
Old 24th December 2015, 06:46 PM
DT019 Pilot

FAB 82 arrived just in time for Christmas and my annual two-hour train journey down south. I enjoyed reading the interview with Alan Pattillo, and will admit that I had no idea that Tony Barwick's wife was the C21 typist. Needless to say, Alan's version of Tony's introduction to the C21 script writing job differed not inconsiderably to the way Tony recalled it in the huge interview published once upon a time in the late lamented SIG. Still, even then, it was a long time ago! I must admit that I didn't notice any reference to the UFO: Close Up book, but this is something I shall look forward to in April.

Personally, I think that the April, August, December publishing schedule for FAB is much better than March, July, November, for example. I'd have difficulty explaining why - I just think it does ! It just feels right!

Anyway, well done and Happy Christmas.

P.S. Seven pages of TBAG... Never any more than that please!!!!
Old 24th December 2015, 06:51 PM
Spacehawk

If we were including all things with archived material, TurboCharged Thunderbirds ought to be featured since at least 50% of the episodes are original series footage.

However, I'm rather enjoying writing the episode guide for the second half of TAG for FAB 83, and it may even feature a bonus interview, but that's all for now

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 24th December 2015, 08:54 PM
Dr. Cedric Agon

CJ88
"However, there would appear to be no reason for the club not to include a review of the Thunderbirds 1965 episodes in FAB at the earliest opportunity. I suspect that several members, myself included, have backed the project and will have disc copies of the episodes in due course that could be made available for review. It may be that some have even been on studio visits to the recent production and could contribute a piece to the magazine"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amongst my many responsibilities within Fanderson I quite often write articles for FAB magazine. Once I've seen the Thunderbirds 1965 episodes I'd be quite happy to either write a review or comment as part of the correspondence section. from the little I've seen it looks pretty good.

As for the New Thunderbirds, well, personally I don't like it for a whole host of reasons although I believe it should have coverage , albeit very limited.

Stephen Brown
Merry Xmas all.
Old 24th December 2015, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Williams View Post
Great to hear that FAB has managed to land at so many places in time for Christmas. We're all really sorry that the magazine was considerably delayed, but hope everyone enjoys (most of) it. The simple fact is that we'll never please everyone 100%.

I'm flicking through my copy in my lunch break, and just had to respond to Phelings' post.....

Can I ask members to actually read the magazine and not Phelings' version of what's written? At no point do we say that the "most members" want to see TAG in FAB, but the majority (as in the majority of members who express a preference, in letters, e-mails, on forums etc). These are quite different things and it's a bit naughty to distort what's been said.

Similarly, the "bonkers" claim that there's no Gerry Anderson connection to Thunderbirds 1965 is a Phelings' creation. In his letter Chas argues that TAG shouldn't be in the magazine as it's not a Gerry Anderson production. The response simply argues that neither is Thunderbirds 1965. Brutal it may be, but in two days it will be three years since Gerry left us, so it would be rather difficult for Thunderbirds 1965 to be one of his productions.

It's not denying a connection, nor a comment on the quality of what the team are producing, or whether we'd like to cover it in FAB (which we very much would, but you'll see elsewhere in the magazine why that's unlikely) but simply pointing out that if being a Gerry Anderson production is the criterion by which coverage is allowed in FAB, it would rather restrict us from the many things that many members do and can enjoy.

Your views are as valid as everyone else's, Phelings, but please don't misquote others to fit.

Nick
Misquote? How is using a different word that basically means exactly the same a misquote?

If you have to split hairs to correct one word - "most" to "majority" then it does sound like clutching at straws to justify the inclusion of articles. If it's that important for it to mean "majority of members who express a preference, in letters, e-mails, on forums etc then that's what it should say. It doesn't so I interpret what's written. If you don't want things interpreted then don't leave them open to interpretation.
I think when comparing one thing with another most people would equate use of the word "majority" to mean the same as "most".
So what is my version? My comment says exactly what you are saying - just not with the additional clarifying information that you never printed anyway??!!??
Doesn't "most members" mean the same as "the majority of members"?
I know it doesn't say "the majority of members who express a preference...." but then neither did you.

Re TB65 v TBAG:
Not entirely a Phelings creation if the forum is anything to go by.

TB65 uses audio recordings made at the time Gerry was involved in the production of the show and the merchandising side of it , it features actors hired by Gerry, stories written by people hired by Gerry and all produced in the same style and techniques as the shows made by Gerry.

TBAG - what connection to Gerry does that have? Oh yes- the title of a show he created is in it.

TBAG is being treated as if it was just another of Gerry shows. It isn't and will never be

Last edited by phelings; 24th December 2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 24th December 2015, 09:15 PM
Aquaphibian

I'm quite happy for anything Anderson related to be included at some point . I kind of look at it like Gene Roddenberrys legacy which continues without him to this day . I look at the FAB magazine almost as a historical document recording the new whilst re visiting the old .
It's a great shame there are still issues between certain parties , I understand why but it's still a shame . I've said it before that it does feel like a bitter divorce were only the children ( the fans if you like ) suffer .
The world is bitter and twisted enough , this should be our retreat from such things .
Looking forward to your episode guide Andrew .
To all at Fanderson towers , thankyou for all your hard work , long may you continue . Have a wonderful Christmas .
Old 24th December 2015, 09:28 PM
Mario Coletti

Rather than loading the FAB magazine up with TAG articles, perhaps it might be a better idea to produce a separate and more detailed standalone booklet on the series and sell it through Fanderson Sales? That way those people who are keen to read a lot more about this series could get what they want. Those members who are keen to write reams on the subject would have an outlet for their work and those who are not interested in the series would no longer be irritated by having to subsidise it and receive it in the club magazine.
Old 24th December 2015, 09:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroboy View Post
I'm quite happy for anything Anderson related to be included at some point . I kind of look at it like Gene Roddenberrys legacy which continues without him to this day . I look at the FAB magazine almost as a historical document recording the new whilst re visiting the old .
It's a great shame there are still issues between certain parties , I understand why but it's still a shame . I've said it before that it does feel like a bitter divorce were only the children ( the fans if you like ) suffer .
The world is bitter and twisted enough , this should be our retreat from such things .
Looking forward to your episode guide Andrew .
To all at Fanderson towers , thankyou for all your hard work , long may you continue . Have a wonderful Christmas .
The thing is that there is more Star Trek out there that didn't involve Roddenberry than there is that did.

The problem with TBAG is that its utter drivel unworthy of being connected to the Anderson name.

During his best years Gerrys shows were unique creations where there was no other material around like it.
TBAG is just the same sort of tripe that the kids channels fill their hours with day after day.
It's as unique as a woman with blonde hair.

I think an episode guide in issue 83 will be the tipping point for me.
Nearly 10 an issue is already getting a bit pricey but when it starts regularly being filled with material unrelated to Gerry Anderson shows it's time to reconsider

Last edited by phelings; 24th December 2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 24th December 2015, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ88 View Post
Rather than loading the FAB magazine up with TAG articles, perhaps it might be a better idea to produce a separate and more detailed standalone booklet on the series and sell it through Fanderson Sales? That way those people who are keen to read a lot more about this series could get what they want. Those members who are keen to write reams on the subject would have an outlet for their work and those who are not interested in the series would no longer be irritated by having to subsidise it and receive it in the club magazine.
What a great idea.

How about a TBAG Closeup book similar to the TB one?
It could say all that needs to be said and remain available to those interested without filling FAB.

As mentioned in FAB82 - at least 2 articles intended for this issue have been held back for issue 83.
Had the 7 pages on TBAG not been included would one or both have fitted in?
Old 24th December 2015, 11:26 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
The problem with TBAG is that its utter drivel unworthy of being connected to the Anderson name.
Sylvia disagrees, as do thousands of other loyal fans.

As for Gerry? Well we'll never know, just like we'll never know for TB1965 or Firestorm, or a Christmas Miracle, or Terrahawks Big Finish.

However I do think this "It's not a Gerry Anderson show, so it shouldn't be featured" argument is getting old. And it's rather pointless. If we were exclusively celebrating Gerry's achievements, there would be no fan club. Gerry was one man. Without the countless other talented people that he surrounded himself with, his ideas would never have been realized. TAG is an extension of those original concepts, as are the other aforementioned projects. If there had been no Thunderbirds, there would be no TAG, ergo it exists because the original exists, and there are more similarities than differences between them than there are between Scarlet and NCS. If Gerry had remade Thunderbirds in the way he wanted, chances are it wouldn't even have been remotely faithful to the original series (a submarine for a base, a Terrahawk style transporter/dropship replacing TB2 were just some of the radical ideas mooted for T-Force as it was known)

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4