Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 9th April 2016, 11:38 AM
DT019 Pilot

Default Fab 83

Can't be long now until FAB 83 and this year's membership item - the UFO Close-Up book!

Personally, I can't wait!!!

(Mind you, I know exactly what will happen... It'll drop through the letterbox just as I am about to go out. I'll think 'OK, I'll just have a quick look'. I'll open the envelope, and sit down for 'five minutes'. And five hours later I'll still be sitting there!)

Oh well.
Old 9th April 2016, 01:28 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
Can't be long now until FAB 83 and this year's membership item - the UFO Close-Up book!

Personally, I can't wait!!!

(Mind you, I know exactly what will happen... It'll drop through the letterbox just as I am about to go out. I'll think 'OK, I'll just have a quick look'. I'll open the envelope, and sit down for 'five minutes'. And five hours later I'll still be sitting there!)

Oh well.
That's the danger with UFO's: Un-put-down-able Folding Objects...

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 9th April 2016, 08:33 PM
Banned

This is my last issue under my current sub. When did the UFO book become the renewal gift? I thought I'd had it already but maybe I'm confusing it with the Thunderbirds one.

I'm really hoping TBAG content is zero for this issue or that it isn't replaced by the Sylvia tribute only to appear in 84
Old 9th April 2016, 11:41 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
I'm really hoping TBAG content is zero for this issue or that it isn't replaced by the Sylvia tribute only to appear in 84
Can confirm that there are another 13 episodes to guide through and an interview to follow that as well, the interview will be at least issue 84, but the episode guide may be issue 83.

I imagine there will be 52 other episodes to cover next year.

Old 10th April 2016, 07:53 AM
Dr. Cedric Agon

[QUOTE=phelings;27632]This is my last issue under my current sub. When did the UFO book become the renewal gift? I thought I'd had it already but maybe I'm confusing it with the Thunderbirds one.

The UFO Close Up book is new this year. The first ones will be sent out this month with FAB 83 (for those that have renewed between getting FAB 82 and now.
So if FAB 83 is the last issue with your current membership you will get the UFO book with FAB 84 in August (assuming you renew of course!)

Steve
Old 10th April 2016, 08:24 AM
The Snake

I renewed last year (twice!) due to a mistake on my part so I am 'paid up' for several issues in advance! Looking forward to getting UFO Close-Up with FAB 83 - I had loads of fun helping out with it in a small way.
Lightcudder. Writer of 'unimportant crap' UFO fanfic, including 'sappy romances', but mostly canon-based novellas, as well as graphic violence, horror, suspense, erotica and AU. Lightcudder's World Oh. And humour as well.

'"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men." (Ella Wheeler Wilcox)
Old 10th April 2016, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
Can confirm that there are another 13 episodes to guide through and an interview to follow that as well, the interview will be at least issue 84, but the episode guide may be issue 83.

I imagine there will be 52 other episodes to cover next year.
The drop to 3 issues per year from 4 was hard to swallow as it makes each issue almost a tenner.
Filling the pages with material about a show that Gerry Anderson had nothing to do with is wrong but at least it makes the decision on whether to renew or not an easy one. Surely the Sylvia tribute has replaced previously planned material and if TBAG stuff takes precedence over genuine Anderson shows that is an editorial direction I don't like. If anything needs to be dropped it's material on the show for pre-teens.
Surely anyone interested in this CGI garbage made for under tens can find out info from the comic ( which very much gives away the target audience) while the magazine designed to cover Gerry Anderson productions can do what it's supposed to.

Unlike some I've never been a member purely so I can buy merchandise but it looks like that will be changing.
FAB has always been the focal point of my membership. Wasting a few pages on TBAG was understandable before it arrived and just after it aired but consecutive issues like this when we've seen what a pile of shite it is beggars belief.
A list of episode titles on the news pages is more than enough

Last edited by phelings; 10th April 2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10th April 2016, 10:25 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Surely the Sylvia tribute has replaced previously planned material
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case, though at the moment I'm not sure which items have been held back for issue 84.

Quote:
Wasting a few pages on TBAG was understandable before it arrived and just after it aired but consecutive issues like this when we've seen what a pile of shite it is beggars belief.
It's fine to object to TAG (or indeed anything else), but if doing so, cutting out the swearing would be FAB

Old 10th April 2016, 10:34 PM
Mario Coletti

Quote:
The drop to 3 issues per year from 4 was hard to swallow as it makes each issue almost a tenner.
Filling the pages with material about a show that Gerry Anderson had nothing to do with is wrong but at least it makes the decision on whether to renew or not an easy one. Surely the Sylvia tribute has replaced previously planned material and if TBAG stuff takes precedence over genuine Anderson shows that is an editorial direction I don't like. If anything needs to be dropped it's material on the show for pre-teens.
Surely anyone interested in this CGI garbage made for under tens can find out info from the comic ( which very much gives away the target audience) while the magazine designed to cover Gerry Anderson productions can do what it's supposed to.

Unlike some I've never been a member purely so I can buy merchandise but it looks like that will be changing.
FAB has always been the focal point of my membership. Wasting a few pages on TBAG was understandable before it arrived and just after it aired but consecutive issues like this when we've seen what a pile of shite it is beggars belief.
I agree with much of the above sentiment. I certainly don't want to pay my subs to read copious amounts of bilge about TAG. The recent episode guide went too far in that direction for my taste. As has been repeatedly pointed out, TAG is not a Gerry Anderson show and it should be given coverage that is commensurate with that fact in the club magazine. I would really like Nick Williams to make a plain statement as to the maximum amount of space in the magazine that will in future be given over to TAG. That way I (and I suspect others too) can make an informed decision as to whether or not to renew my membership.

As an alternative, why not set up some TAG pages on the clubs website where the programme's devotees can post episode guides and anything else to help them study the series in depth and keep it out of the magazine?
Old 10th April 2016, 11:03 PM
Skybase Engineer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ88 View Post
As an alternative, why not set up some TAG pages on the clubs website where the programme's devotees can post episode guides and anything else to help them study the series in depth and keep it out of the magazine?
Another alternative would be to publish all the TAG content in a fourth FAB issue each year that members can subscribe to as an optional extra at an additional cost.

G.