Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 23rd July 2016, 09:56 PM
Skybase Engineer

Default Fab 84

The last issue (FAB83) arrived at the end of April, which is three months ago, so now only about another month to go before #84 is due to drop through letter boxes. That is plenty of time for frothing and pre-discussion of the potential contents - just like we had with the FAB83 thread.

Any takers?
Any rumours?
Any requests?

G
Old 23rd July 2016, 10:09 PM
Main Mission Operative

I recently submitted a review for the 3 brand new Thunderbirds 1965 episodes (via email), so maybe FAB 84 could have a selection from fans, now that (all) the packages have been delivered.
Old 24th July 2016, 10:18 AM
Skybase Engineer

It would be nice to encourage more FAB content submissions from the wider Fanderson membership. However, it would be nice if there were some guidelines of how to submit things to FAB here on the forum. Things like:

- what sort of subjects,
- what to avoid,
- who to send it to,
- what format is required,
- any limitations,
- min/max length
- and any other specific requirements?

This thread does have the subhead 'see how you can contribute to the club magazine' but I've not been able to find anything specific (apologies if there is). So is there anything elsewhere on the website? Or if not can it be added?

G.
Old 24th July 2016, 01:50 PM
Skybase Engineer

Actually, further to my post above, it does rather beg the question - does the FAB editor, and/or any of the Fanderson committee/hierarchy read this forum AND post responses/answers?

G.
Old 24th July 2016, 02:34 PM
Dr. Cedric Agon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame View Post
Actually, further to my post above, it does rather beg the question - does the FAB editor, and/or any of the Fanderson committee/hierarchy read this forum AND post responses/answers?

G.
First of all your question re writing articles for FAB was only posted this morning (a Sunday in July when most people involved with running the club are making the most of their spare time). Not all club committee members get involved with the Fanderson Forum (or indeed Facebook), those that do, regularly read comments posted here. In general the forum runs itself and has a team of moderators. In most cases any query made will (whenever possible) get a response.
I'm not sure why you found it necessary to highlight your comments in bold (and partly) capital letters, I find civility is often the better way to get a response.
Regular readers and contributors to this forum know full well that various committee members often respond to comments made.
Its not always possible to read every single thread as none of us are attached to the forum every day so its possible queries get missed.

In answer to your original question regarding writing contributions for FAB, I will speak to the people concerned and ask for one of them to reply via these pages as you have made valid points.

Stephen Brown
Old 24th July 2016, 03:43 PM
Skybase Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsmith View Post
First of all your question re writing articles for FAB was only posted this morning (a Sunday in July when most people involved with running the club are making the most of their spare time). Not all club committee members get involved with the Fanderson Forum (or indeed Facebook), those that do, regularly read comments posted here. In general the forum runs itself and has a team of moderators. In most cases any query made will (whenever possible) get a response.
I'm not sure why you found it necessary to highlight your comments in bold (and partly) capital letters, I find civility is often the better way to get a response.
Regular readers and contributors to this forum know full well that various committee members often respond to comments made.
Its not always possible to read every single thread as none of us are attached to the forum every day so its possible queries get missed.

In answer to your original question regarding writing contributions for FAB, I will speak to the people concerned and ask for one of them to reply via these pages as you have made valid points.

Stephen Brown
The 'bold' was to highlight the question from the preamble - it certainly isn't or intended to be uncivil. The use of 'bold' is an option available on the forum and is to draw attention to those particular words and so that they stand out from others around - its use is not to be aggressive, unpleasant or uncivil, so I'm not sure why you have chosen to infer that rather negative assertion.

Additionally I didn't demand, request or expect an immediate response and I appreciate that it is a matter of volunteers getting around to reading questions before a reply can be considered and offered. I'm fully aware of when I posted the question. However, I have posted similar questions over a lot longer period and have not seen any specific response.

Nonetheless, thanks for your reply. I look forward to reading something about it here on the forum in the future. And, hopefully, it will be beneficial to a wider forum audience.

G.
Old 24th July 2016, 06:33 PM
The Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame View Post
It would be nice to encourage more FAB content submissions from the wider Fanderson membership. However, it would be nice if there were some guidelines of how to submit things to FAB here on the forum. Things like:

- what sort of subjects,
- what to avoid,
- who to send it to,
- what format is required,
- any limitations,
- min/max length
- and any other specific requirements?

This thread does have the subhead 'see how you can contribute to the club magazine' but I've not been able to find anything specific (apologies if there is). So is there anything elsewhere on the website? Or if not can it be added?

G.
I sent the following email to the email address (fabideas) in April,

Hi,

I have been following the thread in the Fanderson forum about members writing articles etc for the magazine. I get a great deal of pleasure reading the various contributions and I was privileged to help out in a small way with the UFO Close-Up booklet.

I was wondering if you wanted any articles based on UFO - specifically, one of the episodes, or a character development. I would love to contribute something, but to be honest I don't want to spend hours on an article only to find that the topic has been covered in an earlier magazine!

These are links to some of the articles I have written and that have been published in the Ed Straker Herald and my own website.

http://lightcudder.com/?p=821 Ed Straker: the Man and his Inadequacies

http://edstraker.net/?p=2004 First Impressions. A serious look at 'The Responsibility Seat'

http://edstraker.net/?p=1848 Exposed - The debut of Paul Foster

I also write UFO fanfiction - but I will say no more about that!! although I think it is an aspect of the fandom that is sadly neglected and often scorned as 'unimportant'.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers, Ltcdr

I did, in fact, receive an email regarding this post but nothing has come from it and no one has contacted me with a suggestion or request for any articles.
Lightcudder. Writer of 'unimportant crap' UFO fanfic, including 'sappy romances', but mostly canon-based novellas, as well as graphic violence, horror, suspense, erotica and AU. Lightcudder's World Oh. And humour as well.

'"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men." (Ella Wheeler Wilcox)

Last edited by lightcudder; 25th July 2016 at 09:00 AM. Reason: to correct error
Old 24th July 2016, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcudder View Post
These are links to some of the articles I have written and that have been published in the Ed Straker Herald and my own website.

http://lightcudder.com/?p=821 Ed Straker: the Man and his Inadequacies

http://edstraker.net/?p=2004 First Impressions. A serious look at 'The Responsibility Seat'

http://edstraker.net/?p=1848 Exposed - The debut of Paul Foster

I also write UFO fanfiction - but I will say no more about that!! although I think it is an aspect of the fandom that is sadly neglected and often scorned as 'unimportant'.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers, Ltcdr[/I]
The articles sound very worthwhile although I can't over state how unimportant I think fan fiction of any kind is.
I'd rather see articles on the new CGI Thunderbirds show than fan fiction.

In some older non Anderson fanzines I used to have fan fiction did appear and from what I saw most fan fiction was written by females obsessed with creating romantic fantasies about their favourite characters. It seemed that way for the Blakes 7 and Dr Who stories I glimpsed.

Last edited by phelings; 24th July 2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 25th July 2016, 08:50 AM
The Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
The articles sound very worthwhile although I can't over state how unimportant I think fan fiction of any kind is.
I'd rather see articles on the new CGI Thunderbirds show than fan fiction.

In some older non Anderson fanzines I used to have fan fiction did appear and from what I saw most fan fiction was written by females obsessed with creating romantic fantasies about their favourite characters. It seemed that way for the Blakes 7 and Dr Who stories I glimpsed.
I wonder if you have ever read any of mine - unlikely of course, but please don't lump me in with those sort of writers. Yes, I write romance but a LOT more - ever read 'Room 5:28'? Or 'My Mate'? 'Garbage' or even 'Fluff'? 'The Shepherd'? 'One Wish at Christmas'?

Fan fiction may be my 'hobby' but I don't think there is any real need to be so casually dismissive of it.

I never decry scratch-built models of Anderson vehicles even though most of those seem to be created by males obsessed with recreating fantasies from their youth And of course, the owners of those models are unable to physically share their work with people all around the world, unless they sell them.
Lightcudder. Writer of 'unimportant crap' UFO fanfic, including 'sappy romances', but mostly canon-based novellas, as well as graphic violence, horror, suspense, erotica and AU. Lightcudder's World Oh. And humour as well.

'"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men." (Ella Wheeler Wilcox)
Old 25th July 2016, 10:18 AM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcudder View Post
Interesting to read your thoughts on this episode, which I have always felt has more to it than initially meets the eye. In fact it inspired me to write my own analysis which appeared in issue 15 of Andersonic.

I'm not sure that I'd entirely agree with your interpretation of Straker's attitude to Jo - I'd say he is honestly caught between professional caution and genuine personal attraction, but your observations about his body language are very astute and point up Ed Bishops superbly subtle performance.