Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 12th August 2016, 10:01 AM
DT019 Pilot

I'm guessing that it won't be long now before FAB 84 hits the printers and then our doormats!

As someone who was at last year's Fanderson convention, I am especially looking forward to reading the full transcript of the Sylvia Anderson interview which, as circumstances have turned out, will no doubt have been her very last interview. So fortunate for all of us that she was able to get to the event and talk so fluently, lucidly and with such obvious affection about the glory days of the 1960s. It will make for fascinating reading and I'm sure will be welcomed by all the fans who couldn't get to the event.
Old 13th August 2016, 11:29 AM
DT019 Pilot

...but speaking of Fan Fiction...

I wonder if anyone has ever written a story in which Franco Desica is sacked from his position as commander of Moonbase because, after just a few days, it becomes apparent that he's not up to the job! At the same time, Straker bows to pressure from Henderson to put more women in senior positions within SHADO and promotes Gay Ellis to the job?

Now that might turn out to be both clever and funny - bearing in mind the real-life parallels.

20 or 30 years ago I might have had a bash at it, but nowadays coming up with the idea is really all I can be bothered to do. It's probably been done, as it is quite obvious, but just a thought...
Old 13th August 2016, 01:03 PM
The Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
...but speaking of Fan Fiction...

I wonder if anyone has ever written a story in which Franco Desica is sacked from his position as commander of Moonbase because, after just a few days, it becomes apparent that he's not up to the job! At the same time, Straker bows to pressure from Henderson to put more women in senior positions within SHADO and promotes Gay Ellis to the job?

Now that might turn out to be both clever and funny - bearing in mind the real-life parallels.

20 or 30 years ago I might have had a bash at it, but nowadays coming up with the idea is really all I can be bothered to do. It's probably been done, as it is quite obvious, but just a thought...
No. I think not.

As we all know now, fanfic is 'unimportant crap'. I will stick to writing my own ideas and stop bothering 'fans' here.

Shame really, as there are many people who appreciate the efforts made by ALL fans of Gerry Anderson, in whatever way they chose to celebrate his work.

On an after note, I wonder if the so-called 'fans' who deride fanfiction ever read the comic strips? Which of course are little more than 'fanfiction with illustrations' .

If anyone wishes to contact me, please message me as I doubt very much if I will bother posting here again. Sometimes it doesn't seem worth being a fan.

Ltcdr.
Lightcudder. Writer of 'unimportant crap' UFO fanfic, including 'sappy romances', but mostly canon-based novellas, as well as graphic violence, horror, suspense, erotica and AU. Lightcudder's World Oh. And humour as well.

'"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men." (Ella Wheeler Wilcox)
Old 13th August 2016, 01:57 PM
Protector

Default Fab 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcudder View Post

As we all know now, fanfic is 'unimportant crap'.

... I wonder if the so-called 'fans' who deride fanfiction ever read the comic strips? Which of course are little more than 'fanfiction with illustrations' .

Ltcdr.
Fanfic is definitely not appreciated by all fans, personally I am not interested a bit. Comics may indeed be considered fanfiction and millions of copies are available, for every taste. I have some preferences, most Anderson comics included, silver age Batman and Green Lantern too.

The point is: anyone interested in writing and reading fanfic, please do so and enjoy it thoroughly, but keep it out of FAB magazine. Find pals and create a new Anderson fanfic magazine. Same as (new) comics. But not in FAB, the way it is now is fine with me.

cheers
Old 13th August 2016, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcudder View Post
No. I think not.

As we all know now, fanfic is 'unimportant crap'. I will stick to writing my own ideas and stop bothering 'fans' here.

Shame really, as there are many people who appreciate the efforts made by ALL fans of Gerry Anderson, in whatever way they chose to celebrate his work.

On an after note, I wonder if the so-called 'fans' who deride fanfiction ever read the comic strips? Which of course are little more than 'fanfiction with illustrations' .

If anyone wishes to contact me, please message me as I doubt very much if I will bother posting here again. Sometimes it doesn't seem worth being a fan.

Ltcdr.
I think there are others who enjoy fan fiction so no reason not to post here just because not everybody agrees with your opinion. Talk about throwing your toys out of the pram.
If you can't accept that other people don't share your interests or that forum posts are the opinion of the person who posts them that's your problem. Just because I think it's unimportant crap doesn't mean everyone else does.
I think the same about the new Thunderbirds Are Go series but many comment about it here and there are articles on it in FAB so fans of that show recognise an opinion when they see one.
If you don't want to comment on here because we're not all fan fiction fanboys that's your choice.

Curious that Commander Desica comes up with an idea that might be rather interesting to read and you blow it away.
As for equating fan fiction to the comic strips in TV21 , Countdown etc - delusions of grandeur I think.
I'm only guessing but I was under the impression those were written by professional writers often with guidance from Gerry and others and the whole concept was managed by people connected to Century 21

There's absolutely no reason for you not to start your own thread dedicated to everything fan fiction, just because most don't seem to want it in FAB. There are threads on the new series aswell as other aspects of the shows that I'm not interested in. I expect they are read by people interested in those areas.

Edit:

I decided to look at Lightcudders site and the front page photo seems to justify my comment about romantic fantasies after all. I expect there are other interpretations of a topless Ed Straker being massaged though.

Last edited by phelings; 13th August 2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 13th August 2016, 10:14 PM
Mario Coletti

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post

Edit:

I decided to look at Lightcudders site and the front page photo seems to justify my comment about romantic fantasies after all. I expect there are other interpretations of a topless Ed Straker being massaged though.
I went further and read a few stories. It's as if Barbara Cartland was a script editor on UFO. Not my cup of tea at all, but good luck to those that enjoy this sort of stuff.
Old 14th August 2016, 10:56 AM
Skybase Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
I'm guessing that it won't be long now before FAB 84 hits the printers and then our doormats!

As someone who was at last year's Fanderson convention, I am especially looking forward to reading the full transcript of the Sylvia Anderson interview which, as circumstances have turned out, will no doubt have been her very last interview.
Yep, I'm also looking forward to FEB #84.

But I'm finding the now four month gap between issues (with the reduction to only three issues per year) a rather inordinate and tiresome wait. I'd like Fanderson to consider changing back to four issues a year.

I'm not so sure that cost is an issue - I'm a member of several other societies, clubs, and organisations who produce magazines that are regularly sent to members. None are less than four issues a year and one is six a year (of a full colour 80 - 90 pages A5 magazine plus a separate black and white 16 pages Newsletter). Yet all have annual membership fees of no more than Fanderson.

Is this something that can be looked at again?

G.
Old 14th August 2016, 11:09 AM
Skybase Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans sterk View Post

Fanfic is definitely not appreciated by all fans, personally I am not interested a bit. Comics may indeed be considered fanfiction and millions of copies are available, for every taste. I have some preferences, most Anderson comics included, silver age Batman and Green Lantern too.

The point is: anyone interested in writing and reading fanfic, please do so and enjoy it thoroughly, but keep it out of FAB magazine. Find pals and create a new Anderson fanfic magazine. Same as (new) comics. But not in FAB, the way it is now is fine with me.
I'm pretty ambivalent about 'fanfic' and generally don't find interest in it or read it. However, I do find comic strips a different proposition although in general they are, of course, also fiction. And I find the occasional few pages of comic strip in FAB very welcome.

I take an interest in the artistry of comic strip (of subjects I have an interest in) including the style, technique and technicality. To a large extent they need to follow the designs of the original series (characters, scenic settings and machinery/vehicles) to be believable and representative, although, of course, the storyline can take a new or different direction.

Has Fanderson thought about commissioning a strip for serialisation in FAB. It might help to attract new members.

G.
Old 14th August 2016, 11:27 AM
Dreisenberg Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame View Post
I'd like Fanderson to consider changing back to four issues a year.
Putting aside the logistical reasons for changing the membership to three issues of FAB, can I remind everyone just how many issues actually have been published each year since the magazine started?
1991 - 2
1992 - 6
1993 - 4
1994 - 5
1995 - 5
1996 - 4
1997 - 5
1998 - 4
1999 - 3
2000 - 2
2001 - 3
2002 - 2
2003 - 2
2004 - 4
2005 - 2
2006 - 2
since 2007 - 3
So, as you can see, the publication has always been sporadic. It was hardly ever four per year and, on quite a few occasions, we only published two a year, but since 2007 we've sent you the promised three issues per calendar year.

But the change to three issues per membership in 2014 was a decision based on cost, and it's worth remembering that until then we'd held the membership cost the same for nine years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame View Post
I'm a member of several other societies, clubs, and organisations who produce magazines that are regularly sent to members. None are less than four issues a year and one is six a year (of a full colour 80 - 90 pages A5 magazine plus a separate black and white 16 pages Newsletter). Yet all have annual membership fees of no more than Fanderson.
Please send us details of those clubs, Grahame, so we can talk to them about how they do it for the money. A few years ago another member said they could get FAB printed much cheaper, but never even bothered to come up with any suggested printers, so we couldn't get comparative quotes (http://www.fanderson.org.uk/forum/sh...?t=2324&page=3). Certainly, of the printers we've found that can deliver the quality we know club members want, reliably, I believe we're getting an extremely good deal from our current printer.

Nick

Last edited by Nick Williams; 14th August 2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 14th August 2016, 02:58 PM
Banned

I agree we don't want the quality of FAB to drop.
Usually bulk buying is cheaper so if it worked out at less cost per issue I'd happily pay a slightly higher sub to go back to 4 issues per year if that was possible.
If it is just cost rather than time putting it all together that is the issue then anything that can bring the cost of almost 10 an issue down is a good thing.
If it went back to 4 per year surely it wouldn't need to go up by over 9?
Or would it?