Notices

Old 7th April 2017, 02:53 PM
Dr. Cedric Agon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff House View Post
Ditto for line one

Notto for line two

Explanation please?
Much depends when you joined or when your subscription runs from. The Scarlet close up book was sent out this time to any new member who joined after FAB 85 was published and to existing members who renewed between FABs 85 and 86.

If your membership expires with FAB 86 and you rejoin before FAB 87 the Close up book will be sent to you with 87.Likewise if your membership expires with FAB 87 your Close up book will be sent with FAB 88.

hope that explains it.

Stephen Brown
Old 7th April 2017, 04:19 PM
Moid

You will get it when you need to renew your subscription.

Keith
Old 7th April 2017, 08:24 PM
Slomo

FAB 86 is pretty good. Even the pages on TBAG were not too intrusive although the promise of exclusive interviews with the makers in future issues doesn't fill me with joy.

The 2 features I wasn't too keen on were the Joe 90 brain pattern listing and the UFO abduction listing.
Unfortunately these types of articles shout "sorry we have nothing else to say about these shows" and are close (but not quite) to the same level of banality as the All Series Encyclopeadia was in Century 21.

The only way things could appear more desperate to fill space would be to print the results of a members vote on their favourite episodes of their favourite series - in order
Old 8th April 2017, 09:41 AM
Spacehawk

I enjoyed the issue. Yes, a couple of items were little more than 'filler', but I should think that it's becoming increasingly difficult to find angles that haven't been covered in some shape or form. Balanced against this are articles such as the one on Crossplot. I don't think I've ever seen the film, but I certainly didn't know that Century 21 provided the special effects.

In addition, I really enjoyed the 'Script to Screen' feature on NCS, which is a series I really must get round to watching again. I've always enjoyed Mr Brown's occasional 'Script to Screen' features, which of course started many years ago...!

Not wildly overjoyed at the prospect of future coverage of TBAG, and the first page of Fab News read like little more than a press release for Pukeko Films and Weta Workshops. The cynic in me says that it sure was lucky that Nick Williams was having a pre-planned holiday in Australia and New Zealand!

EDIT: Forgot to mention Sam Denham's behind the scenes look at The Perils of Penelope (from the genuine Thunderbirds), which to my mind is the sort of thing that should be the real bread and butter of FAB Magazine. A very enjoyable piece, Sam.

Last edited by Simon Morris; 8th April 2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 8th April 2017, 03:51 PM
Dreisenberg Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morris View Post
...the first page of Fab News read like little more than a press release for Pukeko Films and Weta Workshops...
Sorry you feel that, Simon.

I wrote that piece because I was incredibly lucky to meet some passionate and talented people during my holiday. TAG isn't my favourite show either but I came away feeling that this certainly wasn't for the want of trying by the NZ people, and the problems (perhaps) stem from the banal, childish scripting and basic dumbing-down from the family audience of the original series to what is now deemed necessary for a modern audience of children.

And I mentioned that it was a pre-planned holiday because I didn't want anyone criticising me for spending club funds on a trip down under (yes, believe me, we've had such criticisms before).

Nick
Old 8th April 2017, 04:42 PM
R.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Williams View Post
I came away feeling that this certainly wasn't for the want of trying by the NZ people, and the problems (perhaps) stem from the banal, childish scripting and basic dumbing-down from the family audience of the original series to what is now deemed necessary for a modern audience of children.
Nick
Normally I leave the 'in house' threads alone, but as a fan of both series I'd like to note you have highlighted the one thing many fans of TAG15 have an issue with. The visuals and effects have constantly shown Pukkeko & Weta, as well as Us in the audience think of this from one angle and ITV & the Writers are on another.
It's something I (unfortunatley) have noted again and again in the reviews.
Old 8th April 2017, 11:29 PM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
Normally I leave the 'in house' threads alone, but as a fan of both series I'd like to note you have highlighted the one thing many fans of TAG15 have an issue with. The visuals and effects have constantly shown Pukkeko & Weta, as well as Us in the audience think of this from one angle and ITV & the Writers are on another.
It's something I (unfortunatley) have noted again and again in the reviews.
I've stumbled across numerous preproduction images that Weta and Richard Taylor put together before ITV got involved, and WOW - such a difference. Do not blame Weta/Pukeko for what we got. As Thunderbird 2 noted, what Richard Taylor wanted is not what ITV wanted, sadly

Admin on the Thunderbirds Wiki.
Old 8th April 2017, 11:50 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Williams View Post
Sorry you feel that, Simon.

I wrote that piece because I was incredibly lucky to meet some passionate and talented people during my holiday. TAG isn't my favourite show either but I came away feeling that this certainly wasn't for the want of trying by the NZ people, and the problems (perhaps) stem from the banal, childish scripting and basic dumbing-down from the family audience of the original series to what is now deemed necessary for a modern audience of children.

And I mentioned that it was a pre-planned holiday because I didn't want anyone criticising me for spending club funds on a trip down under (yes, believe me, we've had such criticisms before).

Nick
Fair enough Nick.

I think I was on an off day. I have said before that while I don't especially like the show it does seem to have been made with a good heart and a clear understanding of, and respect for, its 'fore-father'. But the piece came off as a gushing bit of PR and I just found it a bit irritating.

On more than one occasion I have pointed out that there needs to be a balance, so that club members who do enjoy TBAG are not made to feel unwelcome but I guess I find it hard to believe that they're a very large group
Old 9th April 2017, 03:11 PM
Skybase Engineer

I've received FAB #86 and the CSATM 'close up' book. Although I've not read it all I've looked through and they both look to be very good and overall interesting. Certainly production and design standards are their usual high selves.

I'm pleased there isn't too much TBAG content and note the news section of Nick Williams' Antipodean report/visit. It's not particularly extensive or in depth but I do agree with his comments posted on this thread about the apparent contrast between the script/programme makers and the production people. However, perhaps it would have provided better balance if that observation had also been included in the FAB report.

Just my tuppence worth.

Z.
Old 10th April 2017, 05:37 AM
Protector

Many MANY thanks for the new issue of "FAB". Looks wonderful as always, and a nice variety of content - always enjoy "Script to Screen" articles and also getting a perspective on how other people discovered these amazing series in "Timelash" and "FAB Mail" is becoming an increasing delight. Martin's recollections of "You Bet!" are also something brilliantly different and enjoyable.

Renewal on its way imminently! Keep up all the great work!

All the best

Andrew