Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 9th February 2019, 09:01 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB_61 View Post
Problem is they can probably still make more money selling re-edits of "The Benny Hill Show" worldwide than any of the shows mentioned here........
I'm a Benny Hill fan but I've not really kept up with whether he continues to sell to tv. 20 years since they were last aired in the UK and I think the PC whingers who have no sense of humour would rack up too many complaints which is why the rare spot of a Hill sketch has been on those "It was Alright in the 70's" type series where youngsters are brought on to express outrage.
Having said that, the few clips they've shown made me raise my eyebrows at the 8pm family viewing slot - although the majority of Benny's material is very inoffensive and just as funny today.

He used to sell well in the US but I don't know if PC is as bad over there. I know they do have their whingers but generally those in control tend to ignore it - unlike here where every nutter is listened to.
When Ofcom uphold a complaint made by one person yet hundreds of thousands of others are quite happy to view without issues it's hard to take their rulings seriously.
Ofcom should reflect the wider views of society as the BBFC do and not pander to every whining idiot.

Last edited by shermeen; 9th February 2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 9th February 2019, 09:02 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPS View Post
Japan, surely?!
Which is why I said "..a few countries"
Japan is an odd country with major cultural differences to us so while its clearly popular I don't know if they would class it as iconic
Old 11th February 2019, 03:13 PM
Skybase Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB_61 View Post
Problem is they can probably still make more money selling re-edits of "The Benny Hill Show" worldwide than any of the shows mentioned here........
“Thames era” Benny Hill is not owned by ITV plc.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:57 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
“Thames era” Benny Hill is not owned by ITV plc.
I could have mentioned that but it didn't really seem relevant as the point was to remind us of some of the lesser seen shows that could still make more money than the ones we really enjoy.

But I'm not sure it's true though these days anyway.
Benny Hill has been out of favour (in the UK) for a very long time so I would expect his popularity to have waned everywhere by now.
Old 11th February 2019, 10:13 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermeen View Post
I could have mentioned that but it didn't really seem relevant as the point was to remind us of some of the lesser seen shows that could still make more money than the ones we really enjoy.

But I'm not sure it's true though these days anyway.
Benny Hill has been out of favour (in the UK) for a very long time so I would expect his popularity to have waned everywhere by now.
Suspect I picked the wrong example in term of current sales - but, as you note, my intent was to highlight that as much as we (and that's the "we" in the sense of the overall users of this forum) like specific shows I suspect there are other things that would probably pull in more residual sales (especially in a world that seems more focussed on "reality" TV or "my pet did this last week" clip shows).

The reason Benny Hill came to mind is I recall the story about when he went in to Thames in the belief that they were about to commission a new series, only to be told that "his style of TV was no longer wanted" - even though (at that time) they were still actively selling the old shows to other markets.

FAB_61
Old 11th February 2019, 10:16 PM
Spacehawk

....so how about those Joe 90 BluRays?

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 11th February 2019, 10:27 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
Good point (and far more on topic than the question I was going to ask about why is there a picture of Benny Hill on every "Megabus"?..........) (I'll get my coat.........)
Old 12th February 2019, 08:43 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
The Blurays have given me an excuse to watch the entire series for the first time in many years. (normally cherry pick which means the same episodes usually get skipped). Watching one a week in anticipation of the Volume 4 so not even on Disc 3 yet.
The clarity really is outstanding and I find I'm enjoying this far more than I've ever done before.
I wonder if the dreaded dream episodes will be improved.
Old 13th February 2019, 07:18 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermeen View Post
The Blurays have given me an excuse to watch the entire series for the first time in many years. (normally cherry pick which means the same episodes usually get skipped). Watching one a week in anticipation of the Volume 4 so not even on Disc 3 yet.
The clarity really is outstanding and I find I'm enjoying this far more than I've ever done before.
I wonder if the dreaded dream episodes will be improved.
Well that's good to hear.
The thing I find myself noticing is the insane level of detail in the set design, especially in the cottage, quite breathtaking!

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 13th February 2019, 08:44 PM
Aquaphibian

Quote:
Well that's good to hear.
The thing I find myself noticing is the insane level of detail in the set design, especially in the cottage, quite breathtaking!
Yes, the details in the sets and costumes across the board is really something the Blurays are able to highlight. I'm finding myself quite often noticing how realistic some of the things on show look .
The creators clearly went way beyond the call of duty as they can't ever have expected us to be able to watch at this level of clarity.

Gerry would be so pleased.