Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 28th June 2018, 11:00 AM
Agent Blake

There is a comparison of the beginning of the credits on the Japanese and UK blurays of Thunderbirds here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKCTKgffluY

The Japanese one has pretty much the same picture area as the UK DVDs, the UK blu-rays have lost lots of picture at top and bottom.

Mike D
Old 28th June 2018, 11:03 AM
Paradox Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
So if they are just cropping the sides, how do they they get increased image height at the top and bottom of the screen???
There are a few screenshots here that show how the different aspect ratios impact individual shots:

http://blackholereviews.blogspot.com...g-fine-in.html
Old 28th June 2018, 11:52 AM
Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderbirdSix View Post
There are a few screenshots here that show how the different aspect ratios impact individual shots:

http://blackholereviews.blogspot.com...g-fine-in.html
I've not seen the UK "cropped" Blu Rays so can't compare them with the German set I have - did they try at least do some shot by shot selection to get the "best" part of the full frame or just take a centred view all the way thru?

One other thing to remeber in all of this - old style "tube" TVs were usually set up with varying amounts of "overscan" - so you'd end up missing the edge of things by various degrees. A "full frame" 4:3 or even a "top/bottom cropped" 16:9 image derived from a 4:3 frame might still show stuff at the edges on a new" panel based TV than wasn't visible at the time of the original (or ever some of the earlier repeat) broadcasts.

FAB_61
Old 28th June 2018, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
I remember watching that and was totally disgusted at what they had done!

Keith
It didn't bother me at the time because 2.35:1 on our old smaller 4:3 tv's didn't really seem practical.
Even when I was watching the improved clarity of Laserdisc a 2.35:1 image on a 4:3 tv made for difficult viewing.
Old 28th June 2018, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
So if they are just cropping the sides, how do they they get increased image height at the top and bottom of the screen???
The sides should be the same as the 4:3 versions.
It's the top and bottom where image is lost.

In the movies I mentioned it was generally a standard crop top and / or bottom for the whole movie as they were made with different ratios in mind so would be safe to screen in the different ratios without losing important visual information.
With Thunderbirds made in 4:3 a straight crop would lose important information so it is my understanding that the cropping was done from shot to shot because if you remove the top part of one shot safely the moment the scene changes you might chop off someones head.

If the widescreen versions could be said to have any benefits I think there are 2.
Firstly the cropping often seems to deliberately remove sight of the strings where possible. As you know the strings were very visible on dvd so imagine how they look on Bluray.

Secondly the artificial zooming in takes us much closer to the puppets than were were intended to but this has the nice effect of letting us see some very closeup shots of the vehicles where you can often see the superb detail they put into them that they surely must never have expected us to be able to see.
The detail put in for the tv episodes makes it look as if they didn't really need to change much when the cinema films were made as they were already going beyond the necessary.

Last edited by theinspector; 28th June 2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 21st July 2018, 08:45 PM
Banned

Photos over on Roobarb show the deluxe Scarlet set and it looks great. In typical Roobarb fashion all they can do over there is whine that the box is too large.
I bet Network roll their eyes and wonder why they bother with such people - thankfully there are one or two voices of appreciation

Last edited by theinspector; 21st July 2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 22nd July 2018, 12:44 PM
Spacehawk

I think I'd have preferred standard packaging myself, but all that said, I don't really care that much. Network can't win. If there are no extras - people moan. If there are extras (requiring a different packaging approach) - people moan. It's a matter of opinion whether the extras here are items of genuine interest or just 'tat', but I would have thought that for the Anderson fan, they'll be nice to have.

As for Roobarbs, one or two people have mentioned on various threads the air of unpleasantness that can occasionally overcome the forum, as a few people 'gang up' against someone with a differing opinion. I find that the moaning tends to come from the same people, that it tends to trigger a pack mentality from other people (again, invariably the same ones) and very often these people have thousands of posts to their credit, as if it gives them a licence to believe that their opinion is more important than anyone else's.

I've actually started to use the 'ignore' facility.
Old 22nd July 2018, 06:09 PM
Aquaphibian

It's a bit of a bummer they've gone for a long format but to be honest I have no issue with just leaving the volumes on the shelf and putting the rest in a storage box in the loft.
Old 22nd July 2018, 09:42 PM
House Keeper Culver Bay

Has anyone got a link to the photos of the boxset? It should arrive in a few days but I’m curious to see how it looks.
Old 22nd July 2018, 10:37 PM
Banned

The photos are on the relevant thread on Roobarb. However as pointed out its a fairly unpleasant place to go. For some odd reason they recently added the Anderson forum to the list of sections for which you need to be a registered member. So if you're not fully signed up you won't be able to see the images anyway.
I'm registered but never post. Most forums have a certain amount of the "pack mentality" but it's at its worst on Roobarb as the forum owner often joins in himself. It's not a place to go if your views don't match the general consensus. If you dare to disagree you'll quickly get labelled a troll.
With the wealth of extras being made available and the nice looking presentation it's a bit sad to whinge about the box being slightly larger specially as the same people were also first to whinge when the previous Network Bluray monthlies like Randall and Dept S missed out on the extras.|
One thing the whiners didn't seem to notice is that the 4th volume is the centrepiece in a standard case inside the box so if its such a problem you can still keep all volumes separate and just put the big box with the postcards etc away.
We've seen the list of bonuses yet some fools apparently wish they'd opted for the standard version with no bonuses just to make sure the case was the right size.

I feel for poor old Rick Curzon. He's a good bloke who posts some good information but because he doesn't allow his buying decisions to be based on screencaps and quite sensibly prefers to see things in motion he often gets picked on by all and sundry - even the forum owner joins in. One particular halfwit called Alyd whines about the quality of screencaps and seems to think his opinion is more valid that someone who has actually seen the discs in motion. The same guy will only ever payover 13 for a disc on rare occasions so he is not even preapred to pay for quality.
I've spoken to Rick to ask him why he continues to post on there but he is aware that if he gives as good as he gets the pratt who runs it will likely ban him

Last edited by theinspector; 22nd July 2018 at 10:51 PM.