Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 23rd June 2018, 10:53 AM
Spacehawk

Default World Premiere of Fanderson’s Doppelgänger Soundtrack Album at SHADO Con 2

Fanderson’s long-awaited album of Barry Gray’s stunning soundtrack to Gerry Anderson’s Doppelgänger will be available for the very first time at SHADO Con 2.

This 77-minute CD album contains Barry Gray’s complete stereo score for Doppelgänger (AKA Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun), performed by a 55-piece orchestra with Sylvette Allart on the Ondes Martenot. Composed and recorded for an initial edit of the film, including scenes that were ultimately trimmed from the final cut, it includes cues composed for those scenes that have never been heard before outside the studio.

This is accompanied by a corresponding assembly of mono cues, arranged exactly as heard on screen.

A bonus track included is Threnody For The Victims Of Hiroshima by Krzysztof Penderecki, a short section of which replaced part of Gray’s composition in the final edit of the film – the only piece of library music used.

This latest addition to the critically-acclaimed Fanderson soundtrack library is completed by a 20-page full colour booklet.

Fanderson members will be able to buy their Doppelgänger soundtrack first at SHADO Con 2, which takes place on Saturday 30th June 2018 at Quad, Derby. You can find out more details of the event here.

It will then be available to order from the club website on 1st July 2018, the 50th anniversary of the start of principal photography on the feature film.

The Doppelgänger soundtrack is a limited edition release and, like all of Fanderson’s merchandise, is available exclusively to Fanderson club members.
Old 23rd June 2018, 12:24 PM
House Keeper Culver Bay

Yes! Looking forward to getting this.
Old 24th June 2018, 04:36 PM
Lab Monkey

Looks like a fantastic, thorough release. Great news!
Old 1st July 2018, 12:04 PM
Lab Monkey

Someone posted a photo of a 1-CD release on the Facebook page which I assume they bought at SHADO Con. But the website Sales page has a significantly different description: "stunning 2-CD box set of Barry Gray's haunting soundtrack for Doppelganger."
Is there a differently packaged version being sold online?
Old 1st July 2018, 12:37 PM
Terrahawk

Good question. I bought a copy yesterday, but will shamefully admit that I haven't opened it yet!

It looks to be a 1 CD release, as it has a total running time of about 77 minutes. On the other hand, it is in two halves - one in stereo and one in mono.

As I say, I haven't actually taken it out of its shrink wrap yet but it looks and feels like a 1 CD to me...
Old 1st July 2018, 12:48 PM
Lab Monkey

It would probably say on the back (noone has posted a pic of the back yet) if it was 2 discs. Also a 2-CD case is not a "box set," and noone has posted an image of a box. Either they used outdated specs on the Sales page, or there are two different packages.

I think you mean the mono and stereo versions each take up approx. half the space on the disc (if you ignore the bonus track).

Last edited by greybeard; 1st July 2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 1st July 2018, 01:42 PM
Terrahawk

+++STOP PRESS+++

Just opened it.

1 CD.

Looks great though and they've gone in for the Doppelganger and Journey to the Far Side of the Sun branding once you've got the box open. Nice alternative front cover and dual-logos on the disc. At 77 mins it was probably inevitable that it was a single disc. I gather they sold very well at the Con yesterday, so I imagine the reviews will start to appear here soon...
Old 1st July 2018, 02:07 PM
Lab Monkey

They changed the Sales page to read single disc release. There's a pic of the inside on the Facebook page.
What are the run times for each version? They wont be the same since the mono represents the music for the final film. The stereo is the initial composition which wasn't all included in the final film.

Last edited by greybeard; 1st July 2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 1st July 2018, 08:05 PM
Banned

Been waiting for this for ages.
Bought one although £17.95 for a single cd seems a bit dearer than usual
Old 1st July 2018, 08:38 PM
Spacehawk

I'm not the biggest Doppelgänger fan (either of the film or the music) but I didn't hesitate on this one. Cheap at twice the price

As for the cost, I assume there is a licensing fee or something payable to Universal - unless they had a free licence, which would certainly be a first? That's not a facility that has ever been granted to the boutique soundtrack labels in the relatively short time that Universal has been making its properties available for soundtrack releases...

Well done to all who eventually got this one through.