Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Retro-metabolism > Space 2099 The Series

Notices

Old 19th October 2012, 01:31 PM
Aquaphibian

Doesn't seem to be progressing much?

Last edited by yorkie; 19th October 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 15th November 2012, 03:05 PM
Aquaphibian

Well the official 2099 forum fans now seems to think the project is dead.

http://www.space2099theseries.com/space-2099/576-4.htm
Old 17th November 2012, 02:37 AM
R.A.T.

A reply from Jace Hall:

Everyone, please relax.

Yes we know updates have not been frequent - and for that we apologize - however, until we are allowed by ITV to provide SPACE: 2099 specific content information, updating obviously is a challenge.

One of the ways that we were updating the site was to follow certain technological occurrences that happen in our society today and try to discuss and comment on them. The point of this was to help provide various cues and nods toward some of our thinking as we work to depict the most plausible version of the year 2099 that we possibly can in our series.

Our posting of that material was not met with much enthusiasm here. So it stopped. People don't seem to be really interested in discussing science and technology in general when they come to this site - they want to know about SPACE:2099 specifically.

That's understandable. We feel the same way. Unfortunately we can't get into specifics YET. We don't know exactly when we will be able to get into specifics. However it is very safe to say that we are a lot closer NOW to being able to talk about it more than when this site initially launched.

Here is what I can tell you:

We have been working on it. Money is being spent. There has been NO interruption in our development efforts. NONE. ITV is excited. We are excited. A LOT of writing has been happening and continues. This project is taken seriously by all involved. Nothing has changed.

Certainly, we read the site and pay attention. Lots of great points have been made here by fans and we evaluate them all. Our vision for the franchise is grand, and it carries the intention of revitalizing the brand across-the-board. Our aim is not exploitive, it is re-imaginative, and frankly it is not easy to do and certainly takes time and care if the goal is quality.

Whether or not the ultimate vision and execution of SPACE:2099 matches your specific taste or personal vision, our goal is to strive so that you see care, detail, thoughtfulness, and craftsmanship in what we bring to you. No matter what we want you to feel that a true effort has been made to create something with depth, something that aspires to meaningfully comment on the human condition, something worth watching.

So that is why are are not rushing. That is why ITV isn't applying pressure to us to "just get it out no matter what." Everyone involved wants to make something special - and that is what we are trying to do.

Obviously, coming to this site and not getting information is frustrating. We know that. We ask for your patience if you are willing to be understanding in this matter. We are doing what we can, please rest assured.

Until we can provide more SPACE:2099 specific information, this site is intended to be a hang out of sorts. A place where people of common interests can discuss things and hopefully be enriched by that interaction. We try to provide a decent forum for that here, but totally understand if people don't want to do that.

In the meanwhile, we ask you:

In the absence of being able to provide new specific SPACE: 2099 info for the time being, what sort of updates would you like to see here while we all wait together? What would you like from us?

Let us know,
Old 17th November 2012, 04:41 PM
Squealer

Default Cool!

More specific than New Deal and all the best!
Old 25th January 2014, 06:00 PM
Aquaphibian

Ther'e s an update from the producer as to what is going on.
Not a lot to go on.

Post #33 -

http://www.space2099theseries.com/space-2099/1658-4.htm
Old 26th January 2014, 12:32 AM
Spacehawk

Location: That place... with the stuff... where that thing is...
Send a message via MSN to Chrisof

I do have to give the man credit, he's being very upfront about his idea as well as doing his best to keep the fans in the loop.

He's been the center of some very personal attacks from the fan-base on Facebook and Twitter (and I shudder to think what they've been emailing him offline) it does leave a very nasty taste in the air.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out whatever it may be.

My deviantART - http://chrisofedf.deviantart.com/

http://chris-thompson.darkfolio.com/

Nothing could possibly go wrong ...
Old 26th January 2014, 09:18 AM
Spacehawk

I must admit that I am quite excited about this as a new Scifi show - not just as a GA influenced show - having read the latest blurb which includes:-

"To be clear, Space: 2099 is not Space: 1999. It is not a continuation of Space: 1999 in any way. There is a reason it is called Space: 2099 and not Space: 1999. In the Battlestar Galactica reboot, the new series was called BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. Same title. "V" kept the same title as "V." It is important to understand this distinction.

With that being said, as I mentioned in a previous interview, Space: 2099's goal is not to attempt to re-tell the specific story of Space: 1999. We are not trying to make some "dark and gritty" version of Space: 1999. There is no reason to re-tell the Space: 1999 story since we already have Space: 1999! However, through our new story and presentation, Space: 2099 hopes to re-kindle and remind fans of those memories of a show from 35 years ago, but more importantly help bring back to all science fiction fans that sense of awe, fear and incredible spectacle that is the unknown, unexplored universe. It is important that we endeavor to bring something new and exciting to the table.

Space: 2099 is much more serialized in story than Space: 1999. Character progression and story telling can now have meaningful long arcs and significant impact. Certainly, each episode will be a new challenge or discovery, but the way that these events are handled will have longer term effect and implication on our characters and their environment."
Old 7th October 2017, 08:22 PM
Lazoon

It's a good job they never did do a remake of Space 1999 as it's impossible to recreate perfection in my book!
JB
Old 8th October 2017, 11:58 AM
R.A.T.

Yeah, the blurb from 2014 is just nonsense. Makes no sense at all.

If anyone was to do a remake (which they shouldn't) then it would be much better to retain the Space: 1999 title and go for the Space Station 76 approach (which in part was obviously inspired by Space:1999) - make it look retro and set it in an 'alternative' 1999 where there is a Moonbase Alpha and we are dumping nuclear waste on the moon. Be true to the title and the format.

Space: 2099
. So glad this never happened. Just like the UFO remake, which would have been similarly wide of the mark.
Old 21st October 2017, 11:56 AM
Lazoon

I agree totally! The idea of serialising the shows might be interesting but it would never work for those of us that remember when different channels showed the shows in a different order from each other! One of the great things but the seventies ITV channels!
JB