Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Thunderbirds Are Go Episode Reviews > Thunderbirds Are Go! - Series 2 - Episode Reviews

Notices

Old 10th October 2017, 09:50 PM
Dr. Cedric Agon

Default Conrad Lefkon's Review of ‘Power Play’

1 Sets

The model work here was exceptional. The blue waters of the stream and reservoir had a lively freshness about them which complemented things beautifully. I just wish they would compromise a bit more and slow things down to give the scene some weight and authenticity. They should acknowledge this limitation and do something about it – but they won’t.

As a child I enjoyed visiting the Model Village at Bekonscot and when my son was born I watched Thomas The Tank Engine with him and found it charming. I think TBAG is closer to Thomas than to the original Thunderbirds in that any danger is fleeting and light-hearted. It is not what I would have wanted but I can still appreciate the care, love and attention.

Having said that we have had some serious episodes, like ‘EOS’, so maybe there is a lack of clarity about their target audience, at least amongst the different writers. I would think children would have been bored by ‘EOS’ even though, for me, it was quite thought-provoking at times.

2 Vehicles

The launching of Thunderbird 4 was silly in the extreme but mainly because TB4 seemed (and no doubt was) as light as a cork. When, at the end, it popped to the surface covered in Polyfilla it was mildly amusing. It felt as if the team were almost ridiculing the use of models even though I am certain that this is not really the case.

The Gecko Pod is an absurd idea but I really like it and it looks terrific as it makes its way across the dam wall (can I say that?). The sight of the Gecko Pod and Thunderbird 4 in free-fall as they plunged through the air was exhilarating as was the sight of them surrounded by bubbles as they crashed beneath the waters.

3 Characters

The GDF look more like Dad’s Army every day. Their slapstick failure to achieve anything at all has become quite annoying although they, at least, seem to have licence to fire weapons occasionally. This time around they act as a vehicle for delivering the Hood to centre stage.

Is the girl who raises the alarm at the start of the story also the Hood? She has the same face, beauty spot and brown eyes and the ponytail still seems to be present in the turbine room although hidden under her helmet. Or maybe they just happened to use the same member of the CGI Repertory Company twice in a single episode.

It is amazing to think that Virgil and Gordon have the same voice artist, David Menkin, as the banter between these characters was exceptional at times.

4 Story

This is another of those episodes with almost no central story but which is bolstered into an all-action thriller by the introduction of the Mechanic, who is making rescues difficult and who is also the cause of this week’s situation. This time around the Hood is actually helping International Rescue, albeit for his own reasons.

From an original series point of view this was unbelievably bad. If you take away the shenanigans of the Mechanic and the Hood there was almost no story at all. All that really happened was that a crack in a dam was repaired using an industrial size tube of Polyfilla. I am a poor DIY exponent but even I would have been embarrassed by the result. Didn't they have a spatula pod to give it a professional finish?!

Nevertheless … I acknowledge that I am probably trying too hard to like TBAG but when I take the chip off my shoulder I can appreciate that this one was exciting from end to end with plenty of twists in it. Slow motion waves and other effects, heavy looking vehicles and real explosions are not going to happen. Get used to it!

Rating: A

Last edited by Conrad Lefkon; 13th October 2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11th October 2017, 06:43 AM
Main Mission Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
You sure Derek did the Dam effects on Superman? I thought he'd left the production by that point and another company did those sequences, which is why they're not great by comparison to the rest of the effects in the film.
Derek was in charge of the initial Hoover Dam breakup (the shot of it cracking.breaking up), but once the water starts through the valleys he was not involved, and it's obvious due to the bad camera angles, bad lens choices, thin depth of field, all the things that Derek was a master at.