Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Operation - Cover Up > A Christmas To Remember 2010

Notices

Old 5th December 2012, 04:42 PM
Spacehawk

Location: Ham Surrey. Half way between Kingston and Richmond, Surrey.
Default Christmas again

Well here we are again on the home stretch of the year with Christmas fast approaching once more, and I'm experiencing a feeling I get every year.
I don't have children, but my wife and I have plenty of nieces and nephews, and now a couple of great nephews too, so we're well used to buying childrens presents, and every year I'm left with the same opinion, that grows stronger with every successive year. that the childrens toys of today may be more technically advanced than the cildrens toys of my childhood in the 1960's, but to me, none of them look to be as much fun. no Nintendo DS3 with a load of Mario games looks asmuch fun asa Thunderbird 2 with dropable pod, or an SPV or Interceptor with a missle you can actually fire. To a child blessed with imagination, my toys put me smack bang in the middle of my own episode of Thunderbirds or Captain Scarlet or UFO, and for the life of me Ijust don't see that when I buy toys for our nieces and nephews generation. Is it an age thing? Do I just think this because I'm now 51 and see their toys the way my parents generation saw ours, or am I on to something here. As I see it todays childrens toys require less imagination to play with. Sitting looking at hi def images moving about on a screen while you press buttons to a barrage of bleeps and bangs and booms may require an element of skill, bur doesn't really need much imagination, and as such doesn't look as much fun. Is that just me? Or is that how it is?
My childhood Christmas memories are full of me having an awful lot of fun with toys that compared to todays were very basic indeed, but basic isn't bad, basic means you have to make the engine noise with your voice when your Thunderbird 1 takes off, and you have to provide the dialogue between the characters to make the story of whatever game you are playing with your toys. To me, no technically advanced X Box or Playstation matches that. But that's just my opinion.
Whatever your opinions are, I wish everyone on this forum a merry Christmas, and an Anderson filled 2013
Old 6th December 2012, 09:35 AM
Shadbolt

Location: Australia - never been anywhere else...and barely seen much of Oz come to think of it.

For me, the progression of Lego from buying various boxes of bricks and bits and pieces to make anything you like, to buying kits to make specific models renders Lego less creative.

If you buy one of those expensive kits and make up the model...then what? You may have spent ages on it, so do you take it apart and make something different or keep it completed on a shelf forever gathering dust? What I've seen is once it's made that's it - task done. That's fine for kits like Airfix etc, but once upon a time I reckon that wasn't what Lego was all about.

When I was a child we would gather up the bricks and make houses, galleons, a church, a decorative patterned wall, a cave and goodness knows what else, because none of pieces were sold as specific kits.
Old 16th December 2012, 11:58 PM
Spacehawk

Location: That place... with the stuff... where that thing is...
Send a message via MSN to Chrisof

I remember getting the lego Tie interceptor a while back and having loads of fun with it. Building the interceptor of course, then kit-bashing it into two star destroyers.
I can see what legos trying to do with the kits and I like the way they usually feature other possible alternatives to build, but i do see what you mean.

On an off note I see legos competitors are branching out into less mainstream sci-fi. Character options are producing Doctor Who sets and Best lock are making Stargate sets. Maybe an Anderson set isn't too impossible any more.

My deviantART - http://chrisofedf.deviantart.com/

http://chris-thompson.darkfolio.com/

Nothing could possibly go wrong ...
Old 17th December 2012, 08:12 PM
Spacehawk

Thumbs up

Happy Christmas & New Year 2013 to all the members of the Fanderson Forum and their families.
Old 23rd December 2012, 12:01 PM
R.A.T.

Thought I'd watch a few Christmas themed Anderson episodes.

Up first. Stingray - A Christmas to Remember

The first half is great fun being largely plot free and instead consisting of various festive set pieces including Marina and Atlanta building a snowman and the characters going ice skating.
Loved the snowbound Marineville !

In the second half the girls get left cooking the Christmas dinner while the boys have a quick adventure !

Next : Joe 90 - The Unorthodox Shepherd

The Christmas theme is pretty incidental in this one, being primarily a shaggy dog story about bank note forgery.

Some nice location filming at the church. I know church attendance is falling but Sam, Mac and Joe seem to be the only parishioners !

Joe as an angel complete with power pack is hilarious. "I reckon they'll be so scared they won't be able to shoot straight" he says rather trustingly !

Terrahawks : A Christmas Miracle

A hoot as always !

A Christmas truce is arranged. Naturally, this being Terrahawks they end up having a disco with Kate Kestrel on vocals, Zeroids in paper hats and Mary Falconer and Yung-Star slow dancing !

Zelda trying to seduce Ninestein is priceless.

It ends with the cast wishing the viewers at home a Merry Christmas.

A wonderful slice of festive cheese.

Thunderbirds - Give Or Take A Million

Bit disappointing that this was the last episode of the series as the main bank robbery storyline doesn't involve the regular characters at all.

Nice final wrap up scene on Tracy Island although it's a shame Parker doesn't seem to have been invited to join the festivities !
Old 23rd December 2012, 01:37 PM
Dreisenberg Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP* View Post
Thought I'd watch a few Christmas themed Anderson episodes.

Up first. Stingray - A Christmas to Remember

The first half is great fun being largely plot free and instead consisting of various festive set pieces including Marina and Atlanta building a snowman and the characters going ice skating.
Loved the snowbound Marineville !

In the second half the girls get left cooking the Christmas dinner while the boys have a quick adventure !

Next : Joe 90 - The Unorthodox Shepherd

The Christmas theme is pretty incidental in this one, being primarily a shaggy dog story about bank note forgery.

Some nice location filming at the church. I know church attendance is falling but Sam, Mac and Joe seem to be the only parishioners !

Joe as an angel complete with power pack is hilarious. "I reckon they'll be so scared they won't be able to shoot straight" he says rather trustingly !

Terrahawks : A Christmas Miracle

A hoot as always !

A Christmas truce is arranged. Naturally, this being Terrahawks they end up having a disco with Kate Kestrel on vocals, Zeroids in paper hats and Mary Falconer and Yung-Star slow dancing !

Zelda trying to seduce Ninestein is priceless.

It ends with the cast wishing the viewers at home a Merry Christmas.

A wonderful slice of festive cheese.

Thunderbirds - Give Or Take A Million

Bit disappointing that this was the last episode of the series as the main bank robbery storyline doesn't involve the regular characters at all.

Nice final wrap up scene on Tracy Island although it's a shame Parker doesn't seem to have been invited to join the festivities !
I'll be watching all these episodes again sometime over the 12 days of Christmas, MLP*. My favourite of these is Give Or Take A Million even though there is no rescue! 4 great festive treats and definitely much better viewing than what's been offered over this Christmas on British television.