Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 27th September 2011, 08:25 PM
Jason Smith

Default Terrahawks: Cry UFO - Genius or Junk?

For FAB 70 the subject of Timelash is the Terrahawks episode Cry UFO. I was particularly keen on doing this one, as it was one of my very favourite stories as a teenage fan of t'Hawks (as I like to think we called it in Yorkshire).

Maybe something about the plight of Stu Dapples hit home, as I was at the time a young chap of an artistic bent stuck in the wrong job and possessed of a stylish (or loud, if you prefer) taste in clothes.

I was certainly very taken with the idea that Stu's mum was Irene Handl!

Anyway, I put the episode on after the last Fanderson committee meeting and was surprised to discover that my fondness for Cry UFO is not shared universally. Stuart, our Club Secretary, said that it was like the worst wish-fulfillment fan fiction.

So what do you guys think? Am I right that it's a great piece of comedy/drama shedding light on the inner life of a supporting character, or is it another example of Terrahawks veerring off into unwelcome comedic diversions.

Step right up and give us all the benefit of your opinions!

Thanks in advance,

Ian
Old 27th September 2011, 10:42 PM
Main Mission Operative

Default cry ufo

just watched the whole terrahawks dvds, cry ufo is a great episode.
Old 27th September 2011, 11:12 PM
Spacehawk

Location: That place... with the stuff... where that thing is...
Send a message via MSN to Chrisof

Mixed thoughts.
I like the episode and it does a good job of elevating Stu from simply being a cheap joke the rest of the series. (His name makes me shudder every time).

Also features a strong contender for one of the best SFX shots in a GA episode.
Id like to have found out more about this alien though, i got really tired of Zelda very quickly.

My deviantART - http://chrisofedf.deviantart.com/

http://chris-thompson.darkfolio.com/

Nothing could possibly go wrong ...
Old 28th September 2011, 01:42 PM
Squealer

I've always been in two minds about this episode.

On one hand I loved the character of Stew Dapples in Terrahawks, and thought Ben Stevens' interpretation of the role was spot on. On the other hand, Cry UFO wasnt Terrahawks and felt more like a soap opera come sitcom due to Stew's childish ranting throughout. He never worked well being so downbeat.

The 'Close Encounters' alien ship is one of the best reasons to watch this episode though, that and the authentic 80's look of Stu's furry dice and steering wheel in his car.

Never did manage to work out how Stew and his very traditional English Mother ended up living in Bad Water County!
Old 28th September 2011, 06:23 PM
Picasso61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Messenger View Post
On the other hand, Cry UFO wasnt Terrahawks and felt more like a soap opera come sitcom due to Stew's childish ranting throughout. He never worked well being so downbeat.
Am I right in thinking that Cry UFO was the pilot episode for a proposed series just featuring the characters of Stew Dapples and Kate Kestrel or did I imagine this? I'm sure I read it somewhere.
Old 28th September 2011, 06:38 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso61 View Post
Am I right in thinking that Cry UFO was the pilot episode for a proposed series just featuring the characters of Stew Dapples and Kate Kestrel or did I imagine this? I'm sure I read it somewhere.
If you just imagined it then so did I, because I recall reading/hearing the same thing.

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 28th September 2011, 08:37 PM
Dreisenberg Agent

Smile Terrahawks Gems

One of the great things about Terrahawks is that is looks great and every penny is on screen. Cry UFO is good with a fabulous space ship crowning a character driven episode. My personal favourites are Top Ten Pop and Play It Again Sram. Tremendously tongue in cheek but backed up by breath taking special effects. If you have not already done so, check them out.
Old 28th September 2011, 09:33 PM
Jason Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc1 View Post
One of the great things about Terrahawks is that is looks great and every penny is on screen. Cry UFO is good with a fabulous space ship crowning a character driven episode. My personal favourites are Top Ten Pop and Play It Again Sram. Tremendously tongue in cheek but backed up by breath taking special effects. If you have not already done so, check them out.
Now that is interesting - as they are two of my least favourite episodes of the series! I find these too flippant and lightweight in the same way that I find The Gun so serious that it becomes dull.

I'll have to check, but the idea of Cry UFO being a disguised pilot for a spin-off series might have been in the documentary on the DVD release.

Mr Fox - What did you like so much about the episode? A little more detail would be really appreciated.

Thanks for your replies so far, everyone.
Old 28th September 2011, 10:39 PM
R.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc1 View Post
One of the great things about Terrahawks is that is looks great and every penny is on screen.
I think there are a lot of good things about Terrahawks but I couldn't agree with that Dunc - it's a patchy looking series that improves as it goes on but IMO a lot of good work is let down by the 16mm which robs it of the polish previous series had as standard. I love the fact that the humour takes over as along with some improving effects they are the series' redeeming features for me. Stew fighting with the heckler (don't know the episode) makes me laugh just thinking about it Yet that Cyclops monster was poor. I think Terrahawks did the right thing to explore the comedic route because it added a new angle to a very familiar format.
As someone mentioned earlier, it's a little incongruous that Stew's mother is living in Badwater County - doesn't bear close examination - but he's the only human character that you could really say was fleshed out to any degree. Doubt you could base an episode around any of the other humans with the same success. Certainly not Hawkeye!

Last edited by DukeDexter; 28th September 2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 1st October 2011, 05:32 PM
Dreisenberg Agent

Smile Terrahawks - Uneven

I think on of the weaknesses with Terrahawks was that Gerry and his team did not know what road to take the series. People have their favourite episodes. For me the best ones were the sendup ones. I also loved Coldfinger. On the whole I was very fond of the series.