Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 12th October 2011, 11:10 AM
Jason Smith

Default The Protectors 8mm release

Hi all,

After two years (which, let's be honest, have mainly consisted of me working on other projects entirely) I've just about finished the long-gestating FAB guide to Gerry Anderson releases on 8mm film.

About the last thing I need to complete the article is details of the Techno Films releases of The Protectors especially a photo or scan of the box art. They certainly released 2000ft to Die with English box art, and I've confirmed that The Big Hit was released in France, which would mean that an English release is very likely.

If anyone has this, I'm more than happy for them to either post details here or to e-mail me at ian@fanderson.org.uk

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Lord Brett; 12th October 2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 13th October 2011, 10:53 AM
Lab Monkey

Yes. I am certain that I saw a super 8 "Big Hit" on the Derann sales lists for used films.

This would have been in around 1990 and as I remember it it was a 2 X 400 film print.

I suppose this would have been a Techno release as they of course had a practice of releasing both cut and complete prints.

Strangely enough I have a 2 X 400 of the first "Champions" episode - which has around 10 minutes removed. This I am sure was also released by Techno!
Old 13th October 2011, 11:09 AM
Jason Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by griersson View Post
Yes. I am certain that I saw a super 8 "Big Hit" on the Derann sales lists for used films.

This would have been in around 1990 and as I remember it it was a 2 X 400 film print.

I suppose this would have been a Techno release as they of course had a practice of releasing both cut and complete prints.

Strangely enough I have a 2 X 400 of the first "Champions" episode - which has around 10 minutes removed. This I am sure was also released by Techno!
I found yesterday an ad for Derann AV in an old issue of SIG which mentions the three Protectors releases. The Champions episode sounds about right, as it would have taken 3 x 400 ft reel to get a full 50 minute episode on. I've got a couple of Persuaders episodes and UFO's Exposed in the 3 x 400 format.

Techno did even earlier shows, such as The Baron, though I've never seen the 8mm version.
Old 13th October 2011, 05:44 PM
Lab Monkey

Techno also released the "Shrapnell" episode (3 X 400) of "Strange Report".

An interesting anomaly. On my 1 X 400 print of "Identified" there was an obvious problem with synching the sound, because the lip movements don't connect for most of the episode. There was an attempt to correct this near the end of the print. A segment of blue leader is inserted during Straker's closing speech and this breaks up the print to correct the time delay!

This was presumably the same with the other 1 X 400's of the episode.

The way in which a lot of the digests of the shows were treated was often very slapdash, with synching issues in the "Timelash" 1 X 400 as well.
Old 13th October 2011, 11:14 PM
Jason Smith

I've got the Strange Report episode. For many years it was the only way to see an episode of the series, and in the 1980s friends of mine travelled the length of the country to see my print!
Old 15th October 2011, 12:24 PM
Lab Monkey

I was into 8mm collecting between 1988 and '95 and even though this was late into the video era I got a sense of HOW MUCH of a novelty it was. To have..........an actual..........complete...............
(sort of)..................episode..................of.. ..........an................
ITC SHOW!

Sadly my favourite(The Prisoner) never got there. God knows how Techno would have handled a digest of any episode!

Will you be including a footnote about 16mm prints in your description?
Old 15th October 2011, 12:26 PM
Lab Monkey

Have you got scans of all the UFO 1 X 400's covers?
Old 15th October 2011, 01:38 PM
Jason Smith

Quote:
I was into 8mm collecting between 1988 and '95 and even though this was late into the video era I got a sense of HOW MUCH of a novelty it was. To have..........an actual..........complete...............
(sort of)..................episode..................of.. ..........an................
ITC SHOW!

Sadly my favourite(The Prisoner) never got there. God knows how Techno would have handled a digest of any episode!

Will you be including a footnote about 16mm prints in your description?
Not really. 16mm was the format in which many ITC series were routinely distributed to TV stations and to Channel 5 Video for their releases, especialy during repeat runs. We used to see some spectacularly grotty prints of Space: 1999, for example, during runs of the series in the late seveties and into the eightioe. so prints of pretty well every ITV show turn up on the collectors market in that format.

For the purposes of the article I'm sticking to strictly home movie formats.
Old 15th October 2011, 01:39 PM
Jason Smith

Quote:
Have you got scans of all the UFO 1 X 400's covers?
I'm missing Survival and the English language cover of Identified (my print is in English, but has a German cover). If you can help it would be really appreciated.
Old 16th October 2011, 11:41 AM
Lab Monkey

Yes, I can give you a scan of Identified.

Do you want both front and back covers?

I don't recall any copy of Survival appearing on any for sale list - although it obviously was available.

Cheers.