Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 24th November 2011, 09:20 AM
General Strond

Hi all, firstly on behalf of Ian and myself, our apologies for some of your messages slipping through the net. Your contributions to the magazine are vital and are all very much appreciated.

Sadly real life does gets in the way, we are all volunteers with full time jobs, and as much as wed love to spend hours on club duties, girlfriends, family and pets (!) demand attention. This results in our in-box unavoidably springing a few leaks at busy times. As a couple of you have mentioned this recently well endeavor to keep on top of things, please be patient and dont be afraid to hassle our email addresses or message us via facebook or forum messages.

Feel free to email my home email: mike@mikejonesdesign.co.uk which is checked very regularly.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 24th November 2011, 01:44 PM
Dreisenberg Agent

Sorry Sereena, but I just don't see how this will help:
"....set up a automated email response acknowledging receipt of a message.......I think this....is Fanderson's one failing."
Surely, all that will prove is that it's got through to our server, not that it's avoided our individual spam filters, nor that a human has even seen it? I'm not the most technical of people so perhaps I'm missing something here.

I'm sure Derek will read your post and look into setting up an auto-reply, but that would be just what it says - automatic.

Surely, as Mike has already posted, the best thing is to actually ask us for feedback if you're worried your letter/submission has been lost/ignored etc. There's a space here on the Forum specifically for that (Interface).

I make no apologies for repeating that we can't do much looking into anything unless you tell us who you are. The Forum's great and the ability to hide behind a pseudonym is fun, but how on Earth does jmessy007 expect us to look into his query
"Was I meant to recieve the view -master booklet with FAB 70 or do I recieve it next issue because I renewed my membership with FAB 70? Thanks" if we don't know his name and/or membership number? You wouldn't believe how many e-mails we get from people who don't bother to include the basic information, yet expect us to be able to provide a detailed response.

Come on guys, help us to help you!

Nick
Old 24th November 2011, 04:50 PM
Dreisenberg Agent

Unhappy Ask Anderson

This is not a complaint but why is "Ask Anderson" not in every issue? Is it because there are not enough questions from people? I always enjoy reading it and I think it is in a class of its own as it gives people a chance to speak to the great man himself and lets Gerry take his time answering, a luxury he does not have in the public question and answer sessions.
Old 24th November 2011, 07:16 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc1 View Post
This is not a complaint but why is "Ask Anderson" not in every issue? Is it because there are not enough questions from people? I always enjoy reading it and I think it is in a class of its own as it gives people a chance to speak to the great man himself and lets Gerry take his time answering, a luxury he does not have in the public question and answer sessions.
Not 100% certain on this one, Dunc1, but I think it's because Gerry hasn't been in the best of health lately (now don't quote me on it, as I said, I'm not certain).

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 24th November 2011, 10:14 PM
SID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jim View Post
FAB 70 - great issue. Haven't had time to read it cover to cover yet, but by glancing through, I'm looking forward to reading it in detail.

The Viewmaster book is a nice surprise. Well done to those who worked on it. I have the original packs of Joe 90 & Thunderbirds in my collection :-) I also have a couple of Anderson 8mm reels. One of which is the 400ft version of Planet 46, which is near enough the full episode, apart from one missing scene so it could fit on a 400ft reel!
Just a quick line to say thanks for FAB 70 and a great trip down memory lane with the Viewmaster book. Avatar Schmavatar, give me Joe 90 on Viewmaster any day.
Old 24th November 2011, 11:41 PM
Dreisenberg Agent

Default Ask Anderson

Hi Duncan.

Ask Anderson is a little sporadic in its appearances as it's sometimes difficult to get time with Gerry to answer the questions. I tend to leave my visit to him close to FAB's publication so I can include as many questions as possible, but then he's sometimes unavailable at the last minute, meaning we miss the deadline.

I've got quite a big backlog of members' questions for Gerry and, as soon as I can get time with him, we'll print his answers in FAB.

Nick
Old 25th November 2011, 02:33 AM
Supreme Commander

Location: An island in the South Pacific Ocean... Well, several, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Williams View Post
Sorry Sereena, but I just don't see how this will help:
"....set up a automated email response acknowledging receipt of a message.......I think this....is Fanderson's one failing."
Surely, all that will prove is that it's got through to our server, not that it's avoided our individual spam filters, nor that a human has even seen it?

Nick
In the past I have sent emails to Fanderson and when I eventually got a reply I was told that "you'd" never received the earlier ones. Now I don't trust Fanderson's systems to actually receive my emails. That is why I think an automated response would at least provide some feedback to the sender and make them feel that they haven't been ignored - even if the actual email does get booted by a spam filter or isn't read by a human.

Maybe Fanderson could have something along the lines of:
Thank you for your email. As I am sure you can understand, we are volunteers who work for your club during our spare time. While we are not always able to answer your emails we will always do our best to read and consider what you have said...

That's unless someone can come up with a better solution.
Old 25th November 2011, 08:50 AM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purupuss View Post
Maybe Fanderson could have something along the lines of:
Thank you for your email. As I am sure you can understand, we are volunteers who work for your club during our spare time. While we are not always able to answer your emails we will always do our best to read and consider what you have said...

That's unless someone can come up with a better solution.
I am reviewing Fanderson's email management and will consider the views and solutions expressed in this thread. I have many many years experience of email management from the corporate world and I am yet to see the perfect solution.

To get the thread back on track I think that FAB70 was a very strong issue both visually (as always) and in written content. It was good see contributions from so many different members and a few photos I had not seen before (including one of me - who never took a single photo of the Anderson location tour).
Old 26th November 2011, 09:02 PM
Griselda

Default Viewmaster scans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Messenger View Post
I must say, without any disrespect to Mr Williams' scans, the book doesn't do the Thunderbirds photo's justice. The 3D pics of the Hood in his temple, for example, are stunning and the colours really vibrant.
Well, scanning those tiny Viewmaster images can be a bit tricky... I just scanned one from my UFO viewmaster, and while it is better than what appears in the Fanderson booklet, it still not as sharp as what I see when using my Viewmaster (probably a focus issue with the scanner that could be fixed with some experimentation)

http://ufoseries.com/temp/viewmasterTest.jpg

Also, I'll note that the booklet photos/descriptions are mixed up in UFO photos 18 - 21.

Marc
Old 23rd December 2011, 05:04 AM
Shadbolt

Location: Australia - never been anywhere else...and barely seen much of Oz come to think of it.

I've now got the Supercar reel (not the whole Cartoon Carnival set - too expensive!) It's a beauty - lovely 3D images.