21/8/71
9/4/72
30/4/72
14/5/72
18/10/72
Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 01:12 PM
Main Mission Operative

Surprised no one has answered this,as I believe the Anglia screeningS may have been listed in Chris Bentleys book regarding the making of UFO.

Anyway if not,I have a quite a few TV TImes from the Anglia region,so should be able to fill in a few dates.
Old 23rd March 2016, 11:09 PM
Main Mission Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by elder7uk View Post
Surprised no one has answered this,as I believe the Anglia screeningS may have been listed in Chris Bentleys book regarding the making of UFO.

Anyway if not,I have a quite a few TV TImes from the Anglia region,so should be able to fill in a few dates.
Ah yes,just appreciated why perhaps no one has any info about this.
My interest is the ATV region,and I have all dates for the screenings of UFO including repeats.
Although I have Anglia TV Times for 1971 (as perhaps you have) they do not cover the dates you have specified.
Seems hard to track down what episodes were on, on those dates in the Anglia Region.
Only Anglia showed all the episodes in a complete run.
These ran from 02/10/1970 to 21/08/1971.The run started with the first 2 episodes on a Friday switching to a Wednesday,then one episode The Long Sleep late Thursday night and then another switch after a short gap to Saturday afternoon.That's where they stayed until the end of the full run on 21/08/1971.There were a number of gaps in the sequence for things like Benny Hill,Films and episodes of other series,Christmas and The FA Cup Final.Which is why it carried through for so long.
Only the ITV schedule went on as nearly as long from 16/09/1970 to 24/07/1971 and because it was more regularly (apart from Christmas Week,Benny Hill and the 1971 FA Cup Final) it manage to include repeats as well (Saturday Afternoon)
Two episodes Responsibility Seat and Long Sleep were held back until March 1973.

Thought I may have had the TV Times for those dates on Anglia.Sorry
Chris Bentley's book by the way seems to include all the important dates for ATV,Granada,Yorkshire and LWT but not the channel that showed the series in a complete run:Anglia Television.
Old 24th March 2016, 12:20 AM
Banned

It was a single run rather than a complete uninterrupted run.
The single run took 10 months to get through.
Many of the other regions didn't know what to do with it so they gave it a reboot and started it again later on mixing in new episodes with repeats.

Although Anglia do seem to have followed the odd ATV order and shown Cat With Ten Lives third which is way too early. Conflict was 4th so assuming that also follows the ATV order you could fill in the gaps using the ATV listing and the regional variations in the TV Times to see which weeks it wasn't on Anglia.
Nice to see that Anglia actually started broadcasting in colour the day before UFO started.

Repeats appeared in the usual ITV fashion as filler on saturday or sunday mornings/afternoons so I don't think repeats were in the same order as the first run and the forbidden 6 were reserved for late night repeats although one of the 6 , Timelash IIRC appeared in the first Anglia run in the regular 8pm slot
Old 24th March 2016, 01:07 PM
Main Mission Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
It was a single run rather than a complete uninterrupted run.
The single run took 10 months to get through.
Many of the other regions didn't know what to do with it so they gave it a reboot and started it again later on mixing in new episodes with repeats.

Although Anglia do seem to have followed the odd ATV order and shown Cat With Ten Lives third which is way too early. Conflict was 4th so assuming that also follows the ATV order you could fill in the gaps using the ATV listing and the regional variations in the TV Times to see which weeks it wasn't on Anglia.
Nice to see that Anglia actually started broadcasting in colour the day before UFO started.

Repeats appeared in the usual ITV fashion as filler on saturday or sunday mornings/afternoons so I don't think repeats were in the same order as the first run and the forbidden 6 were reserved for late night repeats although one of the 6 , Timelash IIRC appeared in the first Anglia run in the regular 8pm slot

Repeats appeared in the usual ITV fashion as filler on saturday or sunday mornings/afternoons so I don't think repeats were in the same order as the first run and the forbidden 6 were reserved for late night repeats although one of the 6 , Timelash IIRC appeared in the first Anglia run in the regular 8pm slot[/QUOTE]

Indeed the running order for the show was odd,howver I don't think it was without purpose.

Identified and Exposed were in all cases showed first and second.
In many shows at that time,I recall certain characters being missing some weeks and coming back in again later .This was usually a planned arrangement because each character was a lead or co lead.An audience at that time may have grown attached to certain characters,and expected to see them.If some characters suddenly disappeared and never showed up again.A big disappointement for some viewers.

I think this was behind the running order of UFO with several familiar characters missing from the 9 Pinewood episodes.
In the ATV region in particular (which I am more familiar with) you can appreciate MGM British episodes being alternated with the Pinewood episodes.
No surprise departures.
The same also happened with Special Branch with George Sewell and Patrick Mower,although this was because Patrick Mower was added to the series later.They still mixed the episodes up to give the impression that Mower's character was on a another job.

Last edited by elder7uk; 24th March 2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 24th March 2016, 01:08 PM
Main Mission Operative

Phelings

I wonder can I ask about the ad bumbers for UFO you had mentioned being on the Australian DVD's.

Would you mind seeing my other post.

Many thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 12:02 AM
Banned

I think you're crediting schedulers with way too much intelligence.
I don't think running orders on any ITV station was anything other than they wanted to put the episodes they consider stronger near the beginning. I think placing The Cat With Ten Lives after the relatively straightforward adventures of Identified and Exposed would have alienated more viewers than it would have encouraged.
The concept of the aliens taking over other beings apart from humans was something that seems to have been intended to appear much later as it was never looked at again.

I think the fact that certain actors were unavailable for the Pinewood episodes would have been something a scheduler would not even have known or considered. In fact , the change from Freeman to Lake would have been handled much better had they run the 9 Pinewoods after the Elstree ones as it made more sense. It didn't really seem logical that Straker would have a different second in command week to week or that Freeman would not have been consulted at all even if he wasn't on duty that week.
Like The Prisoner , I think the running orders for UFO were down to someones personal ideas at the time and not anything deep or even logical.
Most ITV companies didn't even know whether to sell it as a kids show or an adult one so I think any deep interest in the story or cast would not have happened.

On a separate note - I just picked up the Childrens Film Foundations Outer Space dvd and find the title character in the second film Kadoyng arrives on earth in one of the UFO alien outfits. Unsurprising to find it was shot at Pinewood. I guess the clothes were left in the cupboard to use again

Last edited by phelings; 25th March 2016 at 12:08 AM.
Old 25th March 2016, 12:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elder7uk View Post
Phelings

I wonder can I ask about the ad bumbers for UFO you had mentioned being on the Australian DVD's.

Would you mind seeing my other post.

Many thanks
I'll dig out the dvd's.
I don't even recall if the bumpers were there- someone else might know
Old 25th March 2016, 07:59 AM
Main Mission Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
I'll dig out the dvd's.
I don't even recall if the bumpers were there- someone else might know
I appreciate you having a look.I think you mentioned it in a post some while ago concerning other Ad Bumpers from Anderson Shows.

As regards UFO running order,I,m not sure I agree.
In ATV region it was quite obvious that episodes were being alternated.You'd have expected ATV to have been a little more logical given Grade's and UFO's association with that franchise.
And on the point about 2nd in command changing,perhaps you are crediting the then viewers with too much intelligence.Readers of TV Times in the 70's actually used to take the time to vote for their favourite TV personalities.
This might have been a consideration at the time.
Old 25th March 2016, 09:21 PM
Banned

The list of extras on the cases don't mention the ad bumpers.
As ad bumpers were supplied separately it's quite common for these to be missing from ITC shows.
Some dvd releases have managed to locate them and others have reconstructed them.
I have seen the ones from UFO somewhere , maybe in the Fanderson documentary. I can't remember.

I believe all regions would have been supplied with an ITC recommended running order for all the ITC shows but with the exception of the first episode ( I'm not sure Exposed was shown second by everybody- it doesn't need to be but if its not it does need to be as close to episode 2 as possible) running orders for all the ITC shows varies wildly which indicates local schedulers decided amongst themselves.
With many regions airing the show at 5.15pm on it's first run it's a fair bet that The Cat With Ten Lives didn't appear in those runs at all.

In the 80's repeats Anglia did seem to show all 26 uncut albeit around 3am. Thames / LWT didn't have them at all and last showed the series around 1976

Last edited by phelings; 25th March 2016 at 09:29 PM.