Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Thunderbirds Are Go Episode Reviews > Thunderbirds Are Go! - Series 2 - Episode Reviews

Notices

Old 28th November 2016, 09:28 PM
Supreme Commander

Default Episode 2.9 - Impact - Discussion

International Rescue must stop a comet from colliding with Earth - and the space station between them.

Guest Cast:
Rhys Darby - Langstrom Fischler

Written By:
Len Uhley

Directed by:
Theo Baynton

Youtube Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsL_9izGnwc

Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 10th December 2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 29th November 2016, 10:55 AM
Skybase Engineer

Well, this one features the return of Langstrom Fischler! Looks like he got that space license afterall. Apparently also has Ridley O'Bannon in it but I'm not sure it's true.

Sounds like a good episode and I'm definitely looking forward to. Fischler is a great character and was very excited to hear him coming back.

Director: David (credited as Dave) Peacock.

Admin on the Thunderbirds Wiki.
Old 29th November 2016, 07:30 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyus24 View Post
Well, this one features the return of Langstrom Fischler! Looks like he got that space license afterall. Apparently also has Ridley O'Bannon in it but I'm not sure it's true.

Sounds like a good episode and I'm definitely looking forward to. Fischler is a great character and was very excited to hear him coming back.

Director: David (credited as Dave) Peacock.
We sure Dave's the episode director? He's usually the voice director.

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 2nd December 2016, 01:04 AM
Skybase Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
We sure Dave's the episode director? He's usually the voice director.
Pretty sure. Quite a few of the production crew have been given a chance to direct this season, including Andrew McCully (VFX Artist) and Ben Milsom (Art Director), so I woudn't be surprised if it was. It is a bit odd as according to my info he also directed the previous episode, so it might just be RadioTimes getting their directors muddled.

We'll find out when Lost Kingdom airs, though.

Old 10th December 2016, 09:14 PM
Dr. Cedric Agon

Conrad Lefkon's Review of 'Impact’

1 Sets

The huge space station was a very eye-catching and detailed structure and added a gravitas to the episode just like the interstellar spaceship, Eden, did in ‘Ghost Ship’. However, I have ‘had it up to here’ with blowing up meteorites – how many such stories have there been already? The meteor formed another uninteresting set similar to Halley’s Comet did in ‘Comet Chasers’ which was done better.

2 Vehicles

I could have included the space station under vehicles but it feels more like a set. My problem with space episodes is that the grey colour of the ships and the darkness of space seem to have a sort of televisual seasonal affective disorder (SAD) on me. Perhaps that is why I am not vehement in my opposition to so many TB4 episodes as the underwater locations are far more varied and dynamic.

3 Characters

Langstrom Fischler is a very charismatic character with a deeply flawed personality and I always smile when he has a scene. I liked it when Fischler’s employee was lolling about in his swivel chair looking demoralised and unappreciated – nicely observed.

By contrast I find Ridley O’Bannon to be a rather dull character with a somewhat generic appearance which is disappointing if she is to be a regular (as John’s girlfriend). It’s a sweeping generalisation, I know, but many of the male characters in TBAG are essentially light-hearted whilst their female counterparts are straight-laced at best.

4 Story

I found it a struggle to review this episode because we are really getting overloaded with TB3 space adventures and they are all “much of a muchness”. As space adventures go ‘Impact’ was quite good but I see it as a lost opportunity for a writer with a good TB1 or TB2 episode. Also, we never see the Mole now - except the version on the end of TB3's nose cone! Virgil going into space is another pointer that there are not enough land-based stories.

Rating: B

Last edited by Conrad Lefkon; 11th December 2016 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10th December 2016, 10:20 PM
Alien

Overall I thought that this episode, in the context of the series, was not badly written, it kept up a good pace and had some good elements. Perhaps not “good”, but not as bad as some (It does however beg the question as to when we’re going to get a TB2.2 based story this Series - let alone any new “pod vehicles”).

It was however a fairly predictable “Comet threatens Earth” story, and they even managed to give away it would end up being exploded in the atmosphere in the “highlights” bit of the title sequence(Rule 1: Tease what the story is about, not give the ending away).

Fischler is a massive annoyance – but he’s intended to be, and it allows for some good reactions from the other characters – Brains looking really fed up when Fischler explains how he’s got round the GDF “grounding” his space projects was great.

Virgil complaining that he gets to go headfirst down a tube, when Alan gets a comfy chair, was amusing.

The scene when Kayo just wanders in, takes out the computer system, and just walks back out again, with the “I know lots of things” comment was also nicely done.

Other things however didn’t add up:

There’s no evidence that the drill at the front of TB3.2 can extend to the point where it could get to the “centre of the comet” (as per Virgil’s graphic), or how you then move it out of the way to drop the demolition charge in.

The internal size of TB5.2 seems inconsistent – with both the centre sphere and the “docking claw” being a lot bigger on the inside than has been implied/indicated before.

Other oddity:
The 5-4-3-2-1 countdown on the TB3.2 launch was missing.

Nice touches/references:

Scott saying “let's blow the thing up” sounded remarkably like Shane Rimmer to me.

The rocket that Fischler has attached to the comet is a similar idea to that used to move the asteroid in Moon Zero 2.

FAB_61
Old 11th December 2016, 03:56 AM
Skybase Engineer

This was a pretty good episode for me. The use of guest characters was very good, with all three having already made appearances. I'd like it more it we had guest characters that didn't need saving. O'Bannon definitely has a future as a GDF adviser.

Rhys Darby seems to have forgotten what Langstrom sounded like as his voice changed a few times through the episode - and all of them were pretty different from what was in "Skyhook".

The writing's getting better - it's not just straight in and out with the rescue. There were plenty of obstacles in the way, but it still ends way too quickly.

Quote:
The 5-4-3-2-1 countdown on the TB3.2 launch was missing.
I noticed that, and I don't think it's the first time this season, either. Maybe it's for Jeff's return and they want everyone to forget about Peter Dyneley so they can bring in a new voice actor.

As for Thunderbird 2 action, I think we're getting some next week. Not sure about new vehicles, though.

Old 11th December 2016, 04:45 PM
Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyus24 View Post
O'Bannon definitely has a future as a GDF adviser.
I thought in "Ghost Ship" it was stated that she was part of the GDF - in which case perhaps they ought to give her Col Casey's job (either that or the "Sapce Division" has some far more capable people than the rest of the organisation).

FAB_61
Old 11th December 2016, 05:00 PM
Skybase Engineer

Regarding the lack of Jeff's countdown, I think the music might have had something to do with it. While it's the same piece as usual, it sounds like an almost total re-orchestration of it, with only a few elements sampled from the original version.

Ben Foster did mention that some of the music for Lost Kingdom was scored with a 164 piece orchestra - maybe the launch theme also got a revamp for later use and they wanted to show it off sans countdown over the classic Thunderbirds refrain at the end of the sequence?

As for the episode itself, I very much enjoyed it. Though to me it was definitely one of those strange episodes that recycles elements of older ones, but manages to pull them off better than the previous attempts (enjoyed this more than Falling Skies, Relic & Comet Chasers, which it seems to be an amalgamation of)

However as others have said, we are getting an awful lot of Thunderbird 3 episodes. I can only assume it's a budget thing? TB3 flying around in space - and therefore a purely CGI environment - is probably easier than integrating CGI and live-action for the earthbound rescues.

That said, it was very well done, and I loved Kayo's small but crucial role in assisting the rescue. Also very much enjoyed seeing TB5 directly involved in a rescue again, something I'm a big fan of so long as it's done sparingly - using a space station in such a manner should feel like a last resort and a big deal, rather than it serving as a backup spaceship. Mind you, Fischler was involved the last time TB5 got so directly involved - maybe he's a bad omen!
Old 12th December 2016, 08:15 AM
General Strond

Smile

I think the reason we are getting so many TB3 episodes is that Vivid have a large TB3 to toy to sell this Christmas. The episode even showed off the drill action that the larger toy has.

I enjoyed the episode, it's just a cartoon version of Thunderbirds with some great CG VFX.

A little disappointed that John gets his Buzz Lightyear costume out again, TB3 gets hit by multiple large rocks and is never damaged (???!!), TB3 using those magic International rescue cables to spin round the asteroid and when Fischler suggests they build a giant badminton racket to hit the asteroid I almost threw the remote control at the TV.

A fun episode nonetheless.