Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Thunderbirds Are Go Episode Reviews > Thunderbirds Are Go! - Series 2 - Episode Reviews

Notices

Old 9th November 2017, 06:08 PM
R.A.T.

Default Episode 2.20 - The Man From TB5 - Discussion

John takes a break from his duties aboard Thunderbird 5 to attend a charity event with Lady Penelope. But The Hood gatecrashes the party....

Guest Cast:
N/A

Writer:
Paul Giacoppo

Director:
Theo Baynton

Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 15th November 2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11th November 2017, 08:52 PM
Dr. Cedric Agon

Default Conrad Lefkon's Review of ‘The Man From TB5’

1 Sets

An excellent adaptation of the original series episode title. The first appearance of Fab 1 as it drives along the suspended roadway high up in the mountains is spectacular as was its arrival at the magical futuristic Chateau Traverse which was a wonderful creation. The classic Foster Brothers music worked really well here.

2 Vehicles

This episode has an unusual combination of Thunderbirds on show with a truncated launch for TB3 and a full launch sequence for TB Shadow. The Hood and his hench-people made their getaway using jet-suits and I enjoyed the former’s back flip from the stricken chateau as he made his exit following Bernard Bottomsley’s untimely and disastrous intervention.

The story was more about John and his James Bond style gadgets, which were rather tongue-in-cheek, such as the magnetic socks and Polyfilla dispenser not to mention the laser beam up his sleeve. The cable-cutting lasers affixed to the support cables felt a bit clunky but made for a nice Towering Inferno type evacuation. The loss of Fab 1 and the other cars into the chasm below nicely emphasized the peril they were in.

3 Characters

John was an excellent choice to play the secret agent type character in his stylish white tuxedo. His natural diffidence and (inexplicable) lack of self-confidence gave his performance an interesting slant. It was also great to see Lady Penelope in a slinky new outfit and the animators seem to have made some subtle enhancements to her deportment.

4 Story

The original Thunderbirds stories were usually either heavy rescues or Lady Penelope adventures. ‘The Man From TB5’ is for me the very best example of a TBAG Lady Penelope adventure. I liked the idea of The Hood digitally robbing the rich via a tablet, another benefit of online banking.

The second half of Series Two is really hitting its stride but it concerns me that the scheduling on ITV seems to be as a filler. I would like some reassurance that Series Three is still being made. I hope it really is “fantastic how the whole thing is cloaked in mystery”!

UPDATE: In Thunderbirds WIKI it says that: "By October 1, 2017, Nick Foster confirmed on Twitter that season 3 had entered the scoring stage of production, indicating that some episodes had finished production at Pukeko Pictures and CGCC." which is good news.

Rating: A+

Last edited by Conrad Lefkon; 15th November 2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 13th November 2017, 10:04 AM
Main Mission Operative

Default FAB1 falls from the chateau

Simply a dumb idea. I thought FAB1 is now a flying vehicle, it would have been simple for Parker to use the keys (or whatever he starts the thing with) and guide the vehicle remotely back to the chateau before it plunged into the 'sea' (and from that height it would be scrap titanium). Then simply rescue the folks, several at a time, using FAB1 and taa-daa episode over!

01: Parker actually watches FAB1 fall, so easy to grab the remote to get it flying.
02: FAB1 actually slides into the two other vehicles causing them all to slide outside, hence crappy tyres on FAB1 me thinks!

Story plot line out of 10 - minus 2.
Old 13th November 2017, 10:31 AM
Zarin

Giving John some lime time was good thinking.

The whole episode as well as the way of rescue rather contrived. Could have been done quicker and easier as the previous post outlines. The same problem can be found in some classic Thunderbirds episodes - and most certainly the Thunderbird Six movie.
Old 13th November 2017, 11:12 AM
Aquaphibian

Magnetic socks and laser cufflinks now? Shark well and truly jumped.
Old 13th November 2017, 03:35 PM
Paradox Pilot

As a tongue-in-cheek homage to spy movies, I thought it was a lot of fun. Silly, yes, but it had some pretty impressive visuals considering.

Really liked the characterisation of John we got to see. It always baffled me as a child as to why John was okay with spending so long alone in space (I know technically Alan was supposed to do the exact same time up there in the original series, but it's never depicted as such because as we know, Gerry Anderson wasn't fond of John), so it's interesting to see him given more development to show that he doesn't like being around lots of people and genuinely enjoys the solitude up in TB5.

Have to admit I loved EOS being such a pest with Alan and Gordon, and if they're going to reference anything from the 2004 movie, the Parker Haymaker is one of the few things I'll let them off on - my 62 year-old dad cheered when it got a mention.
Old 13th November 2017, 06:47 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21 View Post
Simply a dumb idea. I thought FAB1 is now a flying vehicle, it would have been simple for Parker to use the keys (or whatever he starts the thing with) and guide the vehicle remotely back to the chateau before it plunged into the 'sea' (and from that height it would be scrap titanium). Then simply rescue the folks, several at a time, using FAB1 and taa-daa episode over!

01: Parker actually watches FAB1 fall, so easy to grab the remote to get it flying.
02: FAB1 actually slides into the two other vehicles causing them all to slide outside, hence crappy tyres on FAB1 me thinks!

Story plot line out of 10 - minus 2.
It has never *ever* been established that FAB1 has *any* kind of remote pilot ability. If it had, why was it not used to return the car in Designated Driver instead of chasing it?

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 13th November 2017, 09:53 PM
General Strond

Whilst not a “rescue” story as such this episode was an entertaining version of the Lady Penelope centered episodes of the original series – it also allowed for some decent heroics from John, and following on from last weeks’ episode it’s nice to see the character being used more effectively than he was in the original series.

OK – so it was a bit silly in places, but in that respect it was quite a decent homage to some of the gadget driven Bond films as well.

I also felt it managed to navigate that line between being “jokey” and “stupid” without descending into “stupid” very well. With some of the “throw away” lines being well done – I particularly liked the putdown of Bernard Bottomsly as being an “example of money not buying class”, and the excuse for the noises from the kitchen as being “the next course being prepared”.

The effects were well done – with a re-use of the mountain set combined with a CGI-ed in roadway and crystal building. What I was a bit puzzled by however was the slightly jerky movement of Thunderbird-S in some of the flight shots (was it CGI deliberately trying to look like a model, or an actual model? – given the smoothness of the usual flight effects it struck me as a bit odd).

Given their previous encounters it is a bit of a continuity error/puzzle that the Hood did not make more of having captured Lady Penelope and Parker (and also not clear why he doesn’t know who John is).

As usual with this type of story (Thunderbirds or otherwise) there are the various things that don’t add up (but need to be there to make it work), including:

The first laser cutter the Hood uses to demonstrate that the whole complex it at risk cuts a cable virtually immediately, whilst all the others take ages.

John (in James Bond mode) just happens to have the right set of gadgets to save the day.

Given that the Chateau is suspended from the top it’s a good job that one of the cables actually points downwards to allow for the “chair slide” escape route.

Overall though – a good episode. The series seems to be on a bit of a roll at the moment – hopefully they can keep it up.

FAB_61