Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Thunderbirds Are Go!

Notices

Old 15th November 2017, 10:41 PM
Lazoon

Default Full length Thunderbirds Are Go 1966 movie?

Found this page after a Kaleidoscope search for Thunderbirds https://www.tvbrain.info/tv-archive?...&type=lostshow
This surprised me, as it says the only complete version of the movie was recovered from the Bob Monkhouse collection. So what bits are missing from the original release? Does anyone know?
I remember tuning into what was the TV premier of Thunderbird 6 on Christmas Day 1974 or 75 and distinctly recall TB2 landing, and using Firefly to put out the fire at the missile base. That was the point at which I tuned in as my folks hated the show and hadn't told me it was on hoping I'd miss it. That scene or scenes were cut from the VHS/DVD versions which only run to 89 minutes as that would be to fit it into a 90 minute running time.
So it looks like Thunderbirds are go suffered the same fate. I'm curious as to what we are missing. Any thoughts?
Old 16th November 2017, 08:03 AM
General Strond

Very strange. I can't see how Bob could have recorded a different version. However he was a prolific collector of films and also played Brad Newman in the film so may have managed to get hold of a version before final editing was done.

IIRC the cut scenes were
* Space Exploration Center asks International Rescue to assist in the launch of the second Zero-X.
* The Hood contacting Kyrano telepathically to find out what IR plan to do.
* Lady Penelope and Parker on the Fireflash.
* Jeff recording a film for the Trans America TV Network.
Old 16th November 2017, 11:00 PM
Banned

Bob collected home movies on proper film years before video recording was affordable and he ended up in court for copyright infringement although he was not convicted ,so as he was part of the movie I would expect he had an actual genuine film print of the movie itself, as you say most likely before final editing was done.
I'll have to check out Bobs Full House book which is a catalogue of his archive. I wonder if the print is 16mm or 35mm , I'm betting the former.
Old 16th November 2017, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin glover View Post
Found this page after a Kaleidoscope search for Thunderbirds https://www.tvbrain.info/tv-archive?...&type=lostshow
This surprised me, as it says the only complete version of the movie was recovered from the Bob Monkhouse collection. So what bits are missing from the original release? Does anyone know?
I remember tuning into what was the TV premier of Thunderbird 6 on Christmas Day 1974 or 75 and distinctly recall TB2 landing, and using Firefly to put out the fire at the missile base. That was the point at which I tuned in as my folks hated the show and hadn't told me it was on hoping I'd miss it. That scene or scenes were cut from the VHS/DVD versions which only run to 89 minutes as that would be to fit it into a 90 minute running time.
So it looks like Thunderbirds are go suffered the same fate. I'm curious as to what we are missing. Any thoughts?
I can't find any reference to Thunderbird 6 being shown on Xmas Day any year between 1970 and 1976, although Xmas Sunday 1976 sees a networked screening for Thunderbirds Are Go.
That's not to say it didn't air over the holiday period on another day. Tv screenings were restricted to movies at least 5 years old within this period so a premier for TB6 in 74 or 75 would be a bit late although back then even at Xmas the ITV regions could vary considerably.
What region were you in?
Old 16th November 2017, 11:33 PM
Lazoon

That's interesting Yorkie. Where did you get the info from? Did you see it at the cinema? Were they in the original prints? I had a reply from kaleidoscope. What they had (they gave the reel of footage to Jamie Anderson), was a 16mm reel of footage from the bit where Cliff and the Shads performed. It's not in the finished print according to Chris Perry from Kaleidoscope. The finished edit was what is on DVD/VHS. They did make a montage with the existing footage. I'll send a follow up with your information. Have you any idea as to the running time of the 'uncut' version, and was it shown in cinemas?
Inspector, I was in Granadaland at the time and still am. I looked but could only see London listings. Chris Perry said it was 16mm, which makes sense. I'd love to see an uncut version. Where do you get the book from?

Last edited by colin glover; 17th November 2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 17th November 2017, 05:54 AM
Skybase Engineer

When I went to see the film in the local Cinema, this would have been sometime in 1967, I recall an opening sequence which was exactly like the teaser shots, just after Peter Dynleys countdown in the TV series. One cut stands out in my memory even now, some 50 years later, its of the St Christopher breaking open on the ground.

Never seen that since in subsequent prints or re-showings.

And yes, I'd love to see a full uncut version of Thunderbirds Are Go!
Old 17th November 2017, 11:13 AM
Spacehawk

Quote:
This thread is really in the wrong section, as it's referring to the original film rather than the new series.

To try and answer the question though - there must be some confusion regarding the Firefly's appearance in TB6. The vehicle never appeared in the film, so I suspect the TV screening may have been of the episode City of Fire or Terror in New York City, in which it did appear.

Last edited by air terrainean; 17th November 2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 17th November 2017, 11:23 AM
Spacehawk

Quote:
That's interesting Yorkie. Where did you get the info from? Did you see it at the cinema? Were they in the original prints? I had a reply from kaleidoscope. What they had (they gave the reel of footage to Jamie Anderson), was a 16mm reel of footage from the bit where Cliff and the Shads performed. It's not in the finished print according to Chris Perry from Kaleidoscope. The finished edit was what is on DVD/VHS. They did make a montage with the existing footage. I'll send a follow up with your information. Have you any idea as to the running time of the 'uncut' version, and was it shown in cinemas?
Inspector, I was in Granadaland at the time and still am. I looked but could only see London listings. Chris Perry said it was 16mm, which makes sense. I'd love to see an uncut version. Where do you get the book from?
Information regarding the deleted scenes in Thunderbirds Are Go comes from a variety of sources, including the original script, the novelisations and photographs taken of the deleted scenes when they were filmed. Some of these have been published in various books. I don't believe the original cut of the film ever made it beyond an initial viewing copy.

Regarding Kaleidoscope - their answer seems less helpful than the source page mentioned above. I believe they have an original full length trailer and some footage of The Shadows rehearsing their routine for the studio puppeteers to use as reference, which may have come from Bob Monkhouse's collection. More detailed information would be helpful !
Old 17th November 2017, 12:35 PM
General Strond

Hi.
The missing scenes and some pics from them are discussed here:

https://securityhazard.wordpress.com...s-are-go-1966/

http://thunderbirds.wikia.com/wiki/T...s_Are_Go_(film)
Old 17th November 2017, 06:35 PM
Lazoon

Indeed, more info would be useful. Chris Perry who co wrote the book is unaware of the deleted scenes. I'm going to email links to this thread. To get to the bottom of my TB6 mystery, I need links to Granada TV listings for. 73-76 if anyone knows of the existence of these issues it would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure it WASN'T City Of Fire or Terror in NYC. When you looked at the TV listings, did you come across any episodes shown? Not Movies? That would help disprove my theory. I recall both Scott and Virgil in Firefly. I want to put this to sleep one way or another. It makes sense for IR to put out the fire at the missile base. I recall it being interspersed between scenes of the plane flight. I'm probably wrong, it's just that I seems so real to me.