Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Thunderbirds Are Go!

Notices

Old 25th February 2018, 03:22 PM
Skybase Engineer

As much as I love TAG, I have to agree that it does feel somewhat like it's fading into obscurity.

When the show came back, it was a big deal - it was all over the news, there were interviews all over the place, the trailers were playing all the time, etc. - and quite importantly, the critical reaction was good.

But I think the two big killers lately have been the frankly ridiculous mid-season breaks (longer than the breaks between full seasons!), and the lack of marketing beyond uninspired trailers that'll only be seen by those likely already watching it, and the odd publicity stunt here and there that has very minimal reach.

I know TAG has those who will never like it, and that's absolutely fine, but I honestly believe ITV had something really special on their hands when the show first began, and over time they've squandered a lot of chances to make it essential TV viewing - one of the early professional reviews for the show even questioned moving the show to the kid's morning slot after Ring of Fire because they firmly believed more people would watch it in the 'Doctor Who slot'.

I hope they can pull it back, because I'd love to see the show go on (5 seasons would be my preference), but with the merch line grinding to a halt and the frankly stupid decision making at ITV, it feels like what I honestly believe to be a worthy successor to the original series is just going to fade quietly into the night.
Old 25th February 2018, 04:59 PM
Supreme Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalWings View Post
As much as I love TAG, I have to agree that it does feel somewhat like it's fading into obscurity....

(SNIPPAGE)

I hope they can pull it back, because I'd love to see the show go on (5 seasons would be my preference), but with the merch line grinding to a halt and the frankly stupid decision making at ITV, it feels like what I honestly believe to be a worthy successor to the original series is just going to fade quietly into the night.
If a season 4 was on the cards I think they would have said by now. I doubt it will happen.
As for 'fade into the night' I sadly fear after Brains V Brawn, it's more like its getting pissed down the toilet! I apologise for the crude terminology.

Can someone internal please request a new sub forum for Season 3 episodes? I can't do it myself, and my request to the mods has not been acknowledged.
Old 26th February 2018, 07:47 AM
Slomo

Gonna quote my old man here: "Thunderbirds is about Rescusing people,not fighting bad guys". My Dad feels they've ruined what Thunderbirds is about.

Myself? I feel the series has lost momentum after all the hype surrounding it when it first began 3 years ago, even Season 2 had much more hype to begin with.

Side note: Noticed Season 2 Part 2 in HMV & they look like they're barely shifting units at all.
Old 26th February 2018, 09:06 AM
General Strond

3 seasons with 78 episodes is a good run for a kids TV series. Star Wars : the Clone Wars managed 6 seasons (121 episodes), and Star Wars: Rebels will be ending after 4 seasons (75 shows) but these are far more popular than Thunderbirds.

The merchandisng peaked in the first year and died off so it makes sense now to move on to something new to sell.

It will be interesting to see what Pukeko Pictures do next. It won't be another Anderson show as nothing was ever quite as popular as Thunderbirds but I hope they do some other original SF show.
Old 26th February 2018, 02:37 PM
Skybase Engineer

I think what's so frustrating about all this is that it's less the show itself that's to blame, and more the handling of it.

As was pointed out, the hype at the start of Season 2 was huge - Season 1 had been a success, we had a new villain we knew nothing about, the early marketing looked great - and on balance, Season 2 has had more good episodes than not so good.

They just haven't capitalised on it and have treated it like any other kids show - just look at the lack of blu-ray release outside of Japan for that.

If Season 3 is the last, while I'll still be incredibly grateful we got the show at all, I'll definitely be sad at just how much potential was sitting right there within ITV's reach.
Old 26th February 2018, 03:32 PM
Supreme Commander

That is my point Wings.
ITV have only wanted to treat is as just another kids show from the off. That is half the problem. The writing has been the other half.
I'll see what Season 3 has to offer, but I am approaching this with open suspicion now. A far cry from the sheer joy of Thunderbird 2.2's first take off in Ring Of Fire Part 1.
Old 26th February 2018, 05:00 PM
Shadbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
That is my point Wings.
ITV have only wanted to treat is as just another kids show from the off. That is half the problem. The writing has been the other half.
I'll see what Season 3 has to offer, but I am approaching this with open suspicion now. A far cry from the sheer joy of Thunderbird 2.2's first take off in Ring Of Fire Part 1.
I'd agree - it seems they've never really had a proper idea of where to pitch this - the stories swing between attempts to do "old style recues" to "comedy villain/character of the week", then they try to pull "family backstory stuff in and 'this is what we do'" type elements into it.

It's not alone as a series as suffering from inconsistent writing and characterisation - it took ages for ST:TNG to settle down - with the later Picard being nothing like the first series idea. ST:TNG sorted itself out though, this still seems to be flailing around.

I feel sorry for Weta - they've done what they can with the model work given the direction they were clearly told to follow, and the CGI work has been getting better.

The new vehicle design were clearly going to generate mixed views but I think they did a good job updating them - though the lack of real "pod vehicles" has always been an irritation (though not as much as "new Alan".....)

Perhaps a redirection with the "Chaos Crew" will get some interest back in the age group that ITV are clearly aiming for - but with the result that it's getting further and further away from being what we'd expect "Thunderbirds" to be about.

The other effect of all of this is that I suspect that any idea that ITV may of had of trying to reboot any of the other Anderson shows has been booted into the long grass.

FAB_61

Last edited by FAB_61; 26th February 2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 26th February 2018, 08:13 PM
Spacehawk

Goodness, we're all rather down on it aren't we?

For all we know, S3 could be the best yet! And here's to S4

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 26th February 2018, 08:33 PM
Skybase Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
Goodness, we're all rather down on it aren't we?

For all we know, S3 could be the best yet! And here's to S4
What would we do without you?

S4 would be FAB
Old 26th February 2018, 09:32 PM
Skybase Engineer

There has been a longer version of the trailer uploaded by someone on FB that is much better than the one ITV have officially released. It's the same one with the March air date on it.

Funny, after watching it I'm not dreading it as much anymore...

Admin on the Thunderbirds Wiki.